Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Naejer

Default How to create a 2-colunm bilingual layout in Word

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would like to
make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over multiple pages.
How do I create this layout?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to create a 2-colunm bilingual layout in Word

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can create a bilingual document with two side-by-side columns in Microsoft Word:
  1. Open a new Word document and go to the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Columns" and select "Two" to create two columns on the page.
  3. Type or paste the text for one language in the left column and the text for the other language in the right column.
  4. To make sure the columns stay side-by-side on each page, go to the "Page Setup" dialog box (click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Page Setup" section in the "Page Layout" tab).
  5. In the "Margins" tab, select "Multiple pages" under "Pages" and then select "Mirror margins" under "Margins."
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

Now, your document should have two columns side-by-side, one for each language, and the margins should be set up so that the columns stay side-by-side on each page. You can continue typing or pasting text into each column as needed, and the document will automatically flow from one column to the other.

If you need to adjust the width of the columns, you can do so by dragging the vertical line between the columns to the left or right. You can also adjust the spacing between the columns by going to the "Columns" dialog box and selecting "More columns" to access additional options.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

You'll need to use tables rather than newpaper columns. But don't use one
huge table that spans many pages -- Word doesn't like this.

"Naejer" wrote in message
nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would like to
make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over multiple pages.
How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

Your best bet in Word is to create a 2 column table. If the document is going
to be more than one page (as it probably will) you might want to read up on
the use of tables in Help. Knowledge of Sections will also be useful, as well
as a numbner of other features of the program.

It may sound time-consuming, but you will be far better off in the long run
if you learn to put the document together using the appropriate techniques
*before* you get started on the content. Otherwise you will most likely run
into obstacles which may cause you to 'tear it up' & start from scratch.

Regards |:)

"Naejer" wrote:

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would like to
make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over multiple pages.
How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Naejer

Thanks CyberTaz
Looking through some templates, I found another way using text blocks and
linking them from page to page. This way the text will automatically flow and
readjust from one page to another as I edit text, format and column height.
I know Word is not recommended for such page layout, but it is the format
specified by most conferences for technical papers.
BSRG

"Naejer" wrote:

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would like to
make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over multiple pages.
How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

If you can manage to keep such a layout stable and avoid corruption I will
be amazed. Stick to tables!

"Naejer" wrote:

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would
like to make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over
multiple pages. How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Naejer

Thanks Graham for the notification. I will look into the table suggestion
from CyberTaz.
Can it automatically reflow over multiple pages?
Naejer

"Naejer" wrote:

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would
like to make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over
multiple pages. How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, tables can flow to as many pages as needed (though Word will work
better if you break long tables periodically). Note that Word has a firm
limitation on the number of linked text boxes (32).

"Naejer" wrote:

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would
like to make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over
multiple pages. How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Naejer

What if I need to insert graphics (pictures, diagrams), can I do text
wrap/run around, can I insert page breaks and other things within a Table
cell?

By the way, word.mvp.org is great! I found several hints and tips so far.
Congratulation

Naejer

"Naejer" wrote:

nI need to make a bilingual technical document in MS Word. I would
like to make 2 side-by-side colums, one for each language, over
multiple pages. How do I create this layout?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Think of a table as being within the page rather than the reverse; pages
will break naturally, but you can to some extent control them (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm). You can
actually wrap graphics much better in a table than you can in a text box
(you can't at all in a text box because it's already in the drawing layer).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, tables can flow to as many pages as needed (though Word will work
better if you break long tables periodically). Note that Word has a firm
limitation on the number of linked text boxes (32).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.