Stéfan Robert

Default Indexing

Hello,

I have seen the FAQ on Indexing by Word on the MVP site saying that
Word cannot automatically generate and index. But, as stated in the web
page, this was for Word 2002.

Since word has been updated since that time, has indexing support improved?

I would like to start indexing a large document done in Word but before
starting, I would like to know what would be the best way to do this
since everywhere I read about this, everybody says that it is a very
tedious task and I would like to do it the "Right Way".

Regards,

--
Stefan Robert
(to email: remove the numbers)

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Stéfan

Stéfan Robert wrote:
I have seen the FAQ on Indexing by Word on the MVP site saying that Word
cannot automatically generate and index. But, as stated in the web page,
this was for Word 2002.

Since word has been updated since that time, has indexing support improved?

I'm not aware of any changes in that regard in Word 11/2003

I would like to start indexing a large document done in Word but before
starting, I would like to know what would be the best way to do this
since everywhere I read about this, everybody says that it is a very
tedious task and I would like to do it the "Right Way".

I'd say that John McGhie's article covers it in full, so you already
have all you need (and then some :-)). The bottom line is about: You
_can_ created an index automatically via a concordance file; but the
result is so poor and, to end up with a decent result, needs so much
work afterwards that you are better off to use the more manual
approaches described.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Stéfan Robert

On 2005-06-23 10:15:03 -0400, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
said:

Hi Stéfan

Stéfan Robert wrote:
[...]

Well I will go the John McGhie way then. Thanks for the advice.

--
Stefan Robert
(to email: remove the numbers)

Indexing Comments Microsoft Word Help 1 June 17th 05 03:40 AM
Word-Compatible Indexing Software andy Microsoft Word Help 3 May 24th 05 03:10 PM
Indexing - Don Microsoft Word Help 1 March 2nd 05 11:17 PM
Indexing Word 2002 Fred Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 05 12:03 AM
Indexing Sandy Microsoft Word Help 1 January 16th 05 09:35 PM