Jackson

Default Security problem

We sell a business product which includes MS Word documents on CD, which our
customers need to be able to edit for own use. Illegal copies of the
documents/disc are being sold on eBay. Is there some way to defeat this?
Word password security would be of no use because the authorised users are
the guilty parties. (Using Word 97 if it makes any difference). Thanks for
any ideas.

++ Jackson ++

Jay Freedman

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:29:37 +0100, "Jackson" wrote:

We sell a business product which includes MS Word documents on CD, which our
customers need to be able to edit for own use. Illegal copies of the
documents/disc are being sold on eBay. Is there some way to defeat this?
Word password security would be of no use because the authorised users are
the guilty parties. (Using Word 97 if it makes any difference). Thanks for
any ideas.

++ Jackson ++

From within Word -- especially the long-obsolete Word 97 -- there's
nothing at all you can do.

Start by filing a complaint with eBay. They routinely cancel auctions
where copyright infringement is even alleged, without even waiting for
proof.

Follow up by having your attorney inform the guilty parties of their
(il)legal position.

There are several schemes on the market for copy-protecting CDs, but
they're probably not all that effective against a determined attack,
and likely to be expensive.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Bill Ridgeway

Would it be possible to make the documents available via a web site
accessible only by password which is made available only on payment? At
least the password can be changed regularly enough to prevent continued free
access.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Jackson" wrote in message

We sell a business product which includes MS Word documents on CD, which
our
customers need to be able to edit for own use. Illegal copies of the
documents/disc are being sold on eBay. Is there some way to defeat this?
Word password security would be of no use because the authorised users are
the guilty parties. (Using Word 97 if it makes any difference). Thanks for
any ideas.

++ Jackson ++

Jackson

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
| Would it be possible to make the documents available via a web site
| accessible only by password which is made available only on payment? At
| least the password can be changed regularly enough to prevent continued
free
| access.
|
| Regards.
|
| Bill Ridgeway
| Computer Solutions

Hi Jay,
Thanks, we are familar with the eBay system and already do as you suggest.
They are very good and remove the item pronto. Then we send the advertiser a
warning letter which usually does the trick. The problem is that we sell
quite a few of these items, and new jokers keep crawling out of the
woodwork. We would like somehow to 'nip it in the bud' at source, once and
for all.

Hi Bill,
Thanks, that's easily done, we already have a password protected page. I
can't see that it would solve the problem though, as the culprits will have
the password. Then it's as easy to copy a block of files to a folder then a
CD, as CD to CD.

+Jackson+

TF

Because the document needs to be edited by the purchaser, it makes security
very difficult. But assuming that the perpetrators are simply duplicating
the original CD, you could have a hidden code embedded on each disk. Keep a
record code and purchasers. When someone advertises them on eBay, buy a copy
and then you will find out who is guilty of the duplication. Sue them for
loss of sales and damages.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Jackson" wrote in message
:
: We sell a business product which includes MS Word documents on CD, which
our
: customers need to be able to edit for own use. Illegal copies of the
: documents/disc are being sold on eBay. Is there some way to defeat this?
: Word password security would be of no use because the authorised users are
: the guilty parties. (Using Word 97 if it makes any difference). Thanks for
: any ideas.
:
: ++ Jackson ++
:
:
:

Jackson

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
| Because the document needs to be edited by the purchaser, it makes
security
| very difficult. But assuming that the perpetrators are simply duplicating
| the original CD, you could have a hidden code embedded on each disk. Keep
| record code and purchasers. When someone advertises them on eBay, buy a
copy
| and then you will find out who is guilty of the duplication. Sue them for
| loss of sales and damages.
|
| --
| Terry Farrell - Word MVP
| http://word.mvps.org/

Thanks Terry
I know how to make a file 'hidden' but how do you embed a hidden code on a
disc?

If we can't find a satisfactory answer to this with Word, we may explore the
security options PDF docs make available.

+Jackson+

TF

Check out Information Rights management and see if it does what you need:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...401851033.aspx

Terry

"Jackson" wrote in message
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: | Because the document needs to be edited by the purchaser, it makes
: security
: | very difficult. But assuming that the perpetrators are simply
duplicating
: | the original CD, you could have a hidden code embedded on each disk.
Keep
: a
: | record code and purchasers. When someone advertises them on eBay, buy a
: copy
: | and then you will find out who is guilty of the duplication. Sue them
for
: | loss of sales and damages.
: |
: | --