Jeff

Default Open document

Using Word 2002 in XP

When I open Word it opens a blank document 1 - which is normal.

When I then click on "File/Open.." and click on one of my saved documents,
the new document opens as a 2nd window leaving "Document 1" open. This is a
new behavior. I am not sure what I changed, but I think I recall the saved
document replacing the unused Document 1 instead of opening a 2nd window.
How do I get back to that earlier behavior?

Thanks.
--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Luc

Jeff,
Go to Tools - options - on the view tab remove the check next to windows on
taskbar, top item in column three of the view section.
Luc
"Jeff" schreef in bericht
Using Word 2002 in XP

When I open Word it opens a blank document 1 - which is normal.

When I then click on "File/Open.." and click on one of my saved documents,
the new document opens as a 2nd window leaving "Document 1" open. This is

new behavior. I am not sure what I changed, but I think I recall the saved
document replacing the unused Document 1 instead of opening a 2nd window.
How do I get back to that earlier behavior?

Thanks.
--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

This will mask but not, I think, change the behavior, which *is* anomalous.
I have to type a space into Document1 to keep it open all day; otherwise it
would be closed whenever I open an existing document (though not necessarily
when I create a new one).

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Jeff

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill posted:
| | This will mask but not, I think, change the behavior, which *is*
| | anomalous. I have to type a space into Document1 to keep it open
| | all day; otherwise it would be closed whenever I open an existing
| | document (though not necessarily when I create a new one).

It seems to have started aft6er I switched on to viewing the Document Map.
Could that be responsible?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Jeff

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill posted:
| | This will mask but not, I think, change the behavior, which *is*
| | anomalous. I have to type a space into Document1 to keep it open
| | all day; otherwise it would be closed whenever I open an existing
| | document (though not necessarily when I create a new one).

I figured out what causes it. Because the anomalous behavior only started
happening when I started using Document Map, I tried an experiment:

1. I open a document, click on View Document Map, and close Word (without
saving).

2. Now, if I reopen Word, it opens with a blank document (and Document Map),
and when I click to open another document, it opens the second one in an
other window.

3. If I close document map before closing, that wierd behavior does not
happen.

Maybe it is a bug associated with Document Map in my 2002.

| | | "Jeff" schreef in bericht
| | | |
| | | |

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Anything is possible. Try switching the DM off and see if that makes any
difference.

"Jeff" wrote in message
In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill posted:
| | This will mask but not, I think, change the behavior, which *is*
| | anomalous. I have to type a space into Document1 to keep it open
| | all day; otherwise it would be closed whenever I open an existing
| | document (though not necessarily when I create a new one).

It seems to have started aft6er I switched on to viewing the Document Map.
Could that be responsible?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Jeff

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill posted:
| | Anything is possible. Try switching the DM off and see if that
| | makes any difference.

It did. That was the cause.