luis cerezo

Default Cross-referencing using a CONCORDANCE FILE

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out the way to create cross references (e.g. See "XXX")
by using a concordance file. Let me give you a real example - In my thesis, I
have sometimes used "MT" instead of "Machine Translation". I have created a
concordance file like this:

COL 1 COL 2
machine translation machine translation
MT machine translation

By using this concordance file I get the following...

machine translation, 1, 52, 67, 122

Even if page 67 does not contain "machine translation" as such, but rather
its abbreviation MT. This is rather cool, but what I actually want to get is
something like:

MT, See "machine translation"
machine translation, 1, 52, 67, 122

Can anyone help? I think concordance files are a rather cool way to create
an index, since they automate the process and, most importantly, allow you to
keep your large document clean, if you know what I mean. But on the other
hand Word Help files are way too concise as to how to deploy concordance
files...

Thanx so much!

--
luis
Jay Freedman

Hi Luis,

The concordance really doesn't have anything to do with "see" entries; it's
strictly for creating page number entries. You'll have to do a separate
manual step to get the cross-references.

Look at the help topic "Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field" for the
explanation of the \t switch. According to the example there,

The field { XE "Highlighting" \t "See Selecting" } displays
the entry "Highlighting, See Selecting" in the index.

You need one XE field like this for each "see" entry you want in the final
entry. They can all be placed in a single spot in the body of the document
for easy maintenance. You could copy/paste each desired line from the
concordance file into the document, edit it as needed, select it, and press
Ctrl+F9 to make it a field. For your example,

MT machine translation

becomes

XE "MT" \t "See machine translation"

and then Ctrl+F9 adds the field braces.

It would be possible to create a macro to reformat all the lines pasted in
from the concordance file. It probably isn't worth the trouble unless you
have several dozen of them to do.

Be aware that XE fields are formatted as Hidden, so they'll disappear when
you hit Ctrl+F9. You need to have Hidden text displayed in order to edit
them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

[...]