Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Teri at Birkdale Golf Teri at Birkdale Golf is offline

Default How do I make 'Print Layout' the default 'View' in Word 2003

Word 2003

When I send a email with a doc attached, my co worker's computer opens it in
'Normal' or 'Reading Layout' instead of in 'Print Layout'. In addition it
loses the formatting with Borders and all the tabbed items are out of place.
It looks a mess. Is there any way to make his 'Word' and subsequently others
that I send to open my docs in the 'Print Layout'? If not, can I default his
computer to open in 'Print Layout'?

Thank you for any suggestions!!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can prevent your computer from opening in Reading Layout view by
disabling it on the General tab of Tools | Options. Beyond that, documents
will open in the view in which they were saved. If you save your documents
in Print Layout view, that's how they'll open. If others send you documents
saved in Normal view, that's how they'll open. You can override this with a
macro to force all documents to open in Print Layout view, but you will then
be going against the presumed wishes of the senders.

This deals with the view on your end. There is *nothing* you can do to
enforce the recipient's view of the documents you send, short of a macro,
which would likely be either ignored or refused depending on the recipient's
Macro Security settings. All you can do is offer suggestions:

1. You can suggest that the recipient not open the document directly from
the attachment. Only files opened directly from attachments open in Reading
Layout view.

2. You can suggest that the recipient disable Reading Layout view.

3. You can suggest that the recipient, after opening the document in Reading
Layout view, switch to Print Layout view.

Or you can send a PDF instead.