Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
karmstg karmstg is offline

Default How to Fix Backward Smart Quote after Em Dash

I've just switched to MS Word 2007 from WordPro. When I end a sentence of
dialogue with an em dash to show interrupted speech (e.g. €œWe know€”€) the
final quote is the wrong way (i.e an opening quote instead of a closing one).
I've tried inserting a space after the em dash. Same problem. How do I get
Word to realize this should be a closing quote?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kamran Kamran is offline

Hello karmstg,

I found the same thing. What I would do is just create an Auto Correct
entry that replaces €”€œ with €”€. I tried it out and it works fine. To enter
the smart quotes in the Replace/With boxes, just use Ctrl+~ then " or the
opening quote and Ctrl+' then " for the closing quotes. Hope that makes
sense.

"karmstg" wrote:

I've just switched to MS Word 2007 from WordPro. When I end a sentence of
dialogue with an em dash to show interrupted speech (e.g. €œWe know€”€) the
final quote is the wrong way (i.e an opening quote instead of a closing one).
I've tried inserting a space after the em dash. Same problem. How do I get
Word to realize this should be a closing quote?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can force any kind of quote you want:

Ctrl+', ' = apostrophe or closing single quote
Ctrl+`, ` = opening single quote
Ctrl+', " = closing double quote
Ctrl+`, " = opening double quote

Alternatively, you can type a space before the quote and then delete it.

"karmstg" wrote in message
I've just switched to MS Word 2007 from WordPro. When I end a sentence of
dialogue with an em dash to show interrupted speech (e.g. "We know-") the