Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

Default How can I get an image to stay where I put it?

For example, I put a picture (size that fits good) in upper left corner and set the text to go down the side and then full page under it. I then want to put an image on the bottom, maybe right corner. I can get it there, and looks like the text goes down beside it, but in print preview (or when I print it) the bottom picture seems to go onto a next page. Even though it looks okay when I do it. And, if I didn't put the bottom picture on, the text would all fit on one page (the way it shows when I do it)

Another example, I was playing with Word Art today, made sentence curve (like a rainbow shape) and put a picture under it. For no reason, just practicing. I clicked print preview/setup and it showed TWO pages with the words on one and the picture on another.

Maybe there is a way to anchor things where I put them, or "group" them (together) all on one page? The way they look when I set it up?

I keep thinking I will come to this in tutorials or my book, or figure it out, but I've always had a problem like this (the little I've used Word for images, I usually use Publisher) It seems the images don't stay where I put them, or won't print the way they look, etc. It's probably something simple. LIke "SIT" and STAY"! (LOL)

I haven't done much with tables but maybe this is the way?

This is Word 2007 but I was using 2003 up till recently.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Right-click on a Picture and set the Wrapping options to Square (or other suitable choice) and make sure to check Lock Anchor and clear Move with Text. Then move the picture into place using the mouse to drag it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Carrie" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

My world and welcome to it. I've never mastered the art of getting my
graphics to go where I want them in Word. I've tried the word-wrapping and
anchor settings and I'm never completely satisfied with the results.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carrie" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
Right-click on a Picture and set the Wrapping options to Square (or other suitable choice) and make sure to check Lock Anchor and clear Move with Text. Then move the picture into place using the mouse to drag it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
Thanks, I'm taking notes.

"Carrie" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
My world and welcome to it. I've never mastered the art of getting my
graphics to go where I want them in Word. I've tried the word-wrapping and
anchor settings and I'm never completely satisfied with the results.

Well if someone experienced like you can't get it right, I don't feel so
bad!
One thing I've done (like for a Christmas Newsletter) was print the page
with the graphics, and then set up the text- guessing where it would go to
fit around the pictures, and printing it out.

It worked pretty good.

This is mainly just something I'm coming across as I learn more about
Word. I use (and know moe about ) Publisher more for this sort of thing, and
it seems easier to set up in that.

But, you never know, someday I might need to know how to do it in Word
(LOL)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carrie" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Newsletter are a snap in Publisher. If you have it and are comfortable with
Publisher, stick with that. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carrie" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

No arguments that Word is often tricky to anchor objects exactly where you
want. My routine is always to enter all the text first, insert graphics
(always edited first to the correct size and resolution in IrfanView) using
Insert and not using Copy/Paste. Always insert In Line approximately where
you want them anchored and then right-clicking and changing the wrapping and
other parameters. Sometimes I may slightly tweak the height or width of an
object very slightly in order to make the text wrapping smoother.

I find that if you choose to insert as floating by default, you can get all
sorts of horrors happen when you insert several floating objects on one page
resulting in a visit to the trick cyclist for therapy.

Terry

"Carrie" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
Newsletter are a snap in Publisher. If you have it and are comfortable
with Publisher, stick with that. ;-)

I know, but I'm in the process of learning "all there is to know" (that I
can understand) about WORD
So, I want to know just to know. It's like a challenge.

I also think with the new Office it's easier to move files back and forth
with Publisher and Word, so I could set up in Pub. first. (Actually
sometimes I have used Flash, which I occasionally dabble in learnig, for
graphics if I want a certain look, and move it into Publisher after)

Seems like no matter how much time and attention to put on this, technology
is always a few steps ahead of me (LOL)

I do LOVE the new Office though, at least now I'm getting used to it. I
mainly only use Word and Publisher. They do so much, probably more than
I'll ever know, and ever use. And, in a way, this isn't too good because
there's always so much to pick from. Which shape, which shadow, which 3D
look, or maybe too much is too much...

But, I want to know all about it, so I'll know what's there, I COULD be
using.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carrie" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
No arguments that Word is often tricky to anchor objects exactly where you
want. My routine is always to enter all the text first, insert graphics
(always edited first to the correct size and resolution in IrfanView)
using Insert and not using Copy/Paste. Always insert In Line approximately
where you want them anchored and then right-clicking and changing the
wrapping and other parameters. Sometimes I may slightly tweak the height
or width of an object very slightly in order to make the text wrapping
smoother.

I find that if you choose to insert as floating by default, you can get
all sorts of horrors happen when you insert several floating objects on
one page resulting in a visit to the trick cyclist for therapy.

Terry

Yes, I think inserting the text first probably would work best.
I wonder, too if saving the text file and opennig it up again new and
then adding pictures to it might work?

I still have to try what I read here yesterday, and make sure my
settings are right for it.

I start playing around with it and get sidetracked trying all the
different effects, color, shapes, etc that can be used.

"Carrie" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes, Probably starting off with just text and reinserting would be good.
Make sure that the Graphics option is set to paste In Line as default. Then
place the cursor where you want the the picture anchored, insert the picture
and then set the wrapping and manoeuver the placement. Start from the top
down, of course g

It is best to turn on the ShowAll option (Ctrl+Shft+*) so that you can see
where the paragraph marks are that will be used for anchoring.

Terry