Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scrivener Scrivener is offline

Default Word 2002 Error Message

Elizabeth was in her office. She's on a network. The network O.S. is
Microsoft 2000. She was working in Word 2002. Here is the message she sent
to her M.I.S. people, which they won't read until Monday.

"Dear Gurus ~

"I have been working (for months) on a Performance Report. It is 31 pages
long, carrying with it multiple graphs, tables and photos. While working on
it today, my machine said something had happened, and it had to close the
document. Both the document closed and Word closed.

"Since then I have not been able to re-open the Word document, despite
multiple re-boots and re-tries. I can see the document on my H drive on the
server, and when I hover my cursor over it, it says that the 19.5KB of data
is still there.

"File name is "FY 2007 Performance Report.03.06.08" It is on my H drive in
a folder called Trailblazers, and another folder under that one called
Performance Report FY 2007, both of which now give me the following error

"Message when I try to open: Doc name or path is not valid. Try:
Check file permissions for document drive
Use the File Open dialog box to locate document."

The stranger thing is, she had her memory stick inserted when this happened,
and we cannot open the older file from the stick; seems like whatever
happened affected both the original file AND the file she had backed up on
the stick.

I have Office 2003. I inserted the stick at home. When I attempt to open
the file, Word 2003 error box gives me approximately the same message, with
the added proviso to use text recovery. When I attempt to open under text
recovery, the original error message comes up about cannot open.

Any ideas would be of immense help. She'd like to work on the file this
weekend.

Thank you in advance,

Ernie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

A file should NEVER be opened from removable media. It should always be
copied to a hard drive and then opened from there.

I would seem that Elizabeth was probably working on the file on the
removable media.

Has she actually tried to use FileOpen and navigate to the folders on the
Hrive and open the file from there. However 19.5KB is astonishingly small
for a file of 31 pages containing graphs and pictures.

I would imagine that the Hrive is on a network that is regularly back-up.
Time to verify that your back-up restore process is working. But as that
probably cannot be done until Monday, seems like Elizabeth now has the
opportunity to do something else for the rest of the weekend.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Scrivener" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scrivener Scrivener is offline

Thank you, Doug. We thought the file was small, too, for everything that
was included within it.

Oh, well, she'll have to wait until Monday.

Elizabeth was told by the city, for which she works, do daily backups. Now
she'll put them to the test.
She'll see how hot their feet get when she holds them to the fire!!! )

We'll keep you posted as to the results on Monday.

Take care. We wish you and your family well.

Ernie & Elizabeth

"Scrivener" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scrivener Scrivener is offline

Doug:

Well, M.I.S. came through: They did have a copy of the file backed up
Friday, and retrieved it for Elizabeth. It was drum roll 105 megs. in
size!!! So, Elizabeth is ecstatic, as you can well imagine.

Anywho, that's the story.

Take care,

Ernie

"Scrivener" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scrivener Scrivener is offline

Oh, yes, she is. Her new plan is: Take it from the mem. stick; place it on
the hard drive; and work from there.

Don't we do the damnedest things at the darnedest times?

That's what makes us human. )

Again, Doug, thank you from the both of us.

E & E

)