Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Orrie Orrie is offline

Default Word font changes to caps as I type

Hi,

When I type a capitalized acronym, such as COBRA, Word 2003 continues to
type the following text as capitals as well. In fact, it changes the
Format/Font attribute to All Caps, which I then have to uncheck to resume
typing standard upper and lower case text. I think this only happens with
some acronyms that are also common English words, such as COBRA, FAIR; an
acronym like UCLA does not trigger the change to All Caps.

I haven't been able to find an AutoCorrect setting relating to this.

I've been using Word for years, never encountered this before. What's going
on?

Thank you.

Orrie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

How are you setting Caps? Are you just pressing SHIFT as you type the
acronym? My guess is that you may have the style set to Automatically
Update. If not, please tell us the sequence that is causing the caps to lock
on.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Orrie" wrote in message
Hi,

When I type a capitalized acronym, such as COBRA, Word 2003 continues to
type the following text as capitals as well. In fact, it changes the
Format/Font attribute to All Caps, which I then have to uncheck to resume
typing standard upper and lower case text. I think this only happens with
some acronyms that are also common English words, such as COBRA, FAIR; an
acronym like UCLA does not trigger the change to All Caps.

I haven't been able to find an AutoCorrect setting relating to this.

I've been using Word for years, never encountered this before. What's
going on?

Thank you.

Orrie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Orrie Orrie is offline

I use the Shift key, rather than the Caps Lock, and when I release the
Shift, the next text I type is still in caps.

...may have style set to Automatically Update.

Where is that setting? I assume it is in the Normal.dot template, but I
couldn't find it on the menus in Word 2003 SP1.

Thanks again.

Orrie

"Orrie" wrote in message
Hi,

When I type a capitalized acronym, such as COBRA, Word 2003 continues to
type the following text as capitals as well. In fact, it changes the
Format/Font attribute to All Caps, which I then have to uncheck to resume
typing standard upper and lower case text. I think this only happens with
some acronyms that are also common English words, such as COBRA, FAIR; an
acronym like UCLA does not trigger the change to All Caps.

I haven't been able to find an AutoCorrect setting relating to this.

I've been using Word for years, never encountered this before. What's
going on?

Thank you.

Orrie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

In the Format Style dialog for whichever style you are using - which I
guess is normal style.

Terry