Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

Default Drop Cap Option Greyed

I am having some trouble using the drop cap option in Word 2002. I have
highlighted the first letter of the first word of the paragraph, clicked
format and cannot go any further because the drop cap command is not
available (greyed out). Any ideas of how to get this working?
TY
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Drop Cap Option Greyed

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the drop cap option in Word 2002. Here are a few things you can try to get it working:
  1. Make sure your cursor is in the paragraph you want to apply the drop cap to. If your cursor is not in the paragraph, the drop cap option may be greyed out.
  2. Check that your document is in Print Layout view. If you're in Draft or Outline view, the drop cap option may be unavailable.
  3. Ensure that you have selected the correct font for your document. Some fonts do not support drop caps, so you may need to choose a different font.
  4. Try resetting your toolbar. Sometimes, toolbar settings can become corrupted and cause options to be greyed out. To reset your toolbar, right-click on any toolbar and select "Customize." Then, click the "Reset" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
  5. If none of the above solutions work, you may need to repair or reinstall Word. This can be done through the Control Panel in Windows.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

You are correct. I never realized that point but I am trying to drop cap the
first word of the 2nd paragraph. Can this be done?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure it's the first letter? It's not preceded by a space or tab or
anything else?

"briank" wrote in message
news
I am having some trouble using the drop cap option in Word 2002. I have
highlighted the first letter of the first word of the paragraph, clicked
format and cannot go any further because the drop cap command is not
available (greyed out). Any ideas of how to get this working?
TY

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes. You can create a Drop Cap from any number of selected characters at the
beginning of any paragraph. The drop cap is created using a frame, so this
won't work if your text is in a text box.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure it's the first letter? It's not preceded by a space or tab
or
anything else?

"briank" wrote in message
news
I am having some trouble using the drop cap option in Word 2002. I have
highlighted the first letter of the first word of the paragraph,
clicked
format and cannot go any further because the drop cap command is not
available (greyed out). Any ideas of how to get this working?
TY

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

Fortunately my text is not in a frame. The page in this scenario is as
follows:
Line 1- 9 characters enter
Line 2 - 14 characters with expanded characters and text shading enter
Line 3 - enter
Line 4 - Paragraph with indentation

Can you identify how to drop cap the first letter of first word in my
paragraph starting on line 3?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure it's the first letter? It's not preceded by a space or tab
or
anything else?

"briank" wrote in message
news I am having some trouble using the drop cap option in Word 2002. I have
highlighted the first letter of the first word of the paragraph,
clicked
format and cannot go any further because the drop cap command is not
available (greyed out). Any ideas of how to get this working?
TY

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Line three appears to be an empty paragraph, so how is there anything there
to make a drop cap out of? Also, if you want the first character of the
paragraph beginning on line 4 to be a drop cap, you'll have to ditch the
first-line indent (if that's what you mean by "indentation"). Word can't do
a drop cap in a paragraph with a first-line indent because it would drop
into the middle of the paragraph.

news

"briank" wrote in message
news I am having some trouble using the drop cap option in Word 2002. I
have
highlighted the first letter of the first word of the paragraph,
clicked
format and cannot go any further because the drop cap command is not
available (greyed out). Any ideas of how to get this working?
TY

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik E. Nilsen Fredrik E. Nilsen is offline

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:22:16 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Word can't do drop cap in a paragraph with a first-line indent because it would drop into the middle of the paragraph.

Yes, it can.

--
Fredrik E. Nilsen
http://fenilsen.wordpress.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik E. Nilsen Fredrik E. Nilsen is offline

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:41:15 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Well, I'm seeing that behavior today, but I certainly didn't yesterday: the
menu item was dimmed. Go figure.

If you insert a tab character instead of an first line indent, drop
cap is unavailable.

--
Fredrik E. Nilsen
http://fenilsen.wordpress.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think that was the issue (though I did inquire about whether the OP
had a space or tab before the first character). What I probably did have was
a space before the first character. Oddly, even if you select the space with
the character, Format | Drop Cap is disabled; although you can select an
entire word and drop it, you can't drop a word or letter with a leading
space or tab. Interesting.