Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
hotmilne hotmilne is offline

Default How do I alphabetically sort a numbered list when numbering is man

I didn't generate my numbered list by inserting numbers. I added the numbers
'manually'.
eg.
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays
3. All of Me

I want this list to read

3. All of Me
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays

Please tell me how to do this. I have 300 tunes in my repertoire and can be
stuck for hours as the list changes frequently according to the next gig.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
hotmilne hotmilne is offline

Default How do I alphabetically sort a numbered list when numbering is

I don't even get a choice of selecting Word 1. Just Paragraph or Filed 1
I'm at TABLE|SORT. Is this the right place?
/g
===============

"hotmilne" wrote in message
I didn't generate my numbered list by inserting numbers. I added the
numbers
'manually'.
eg.
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays
3. All of Me

I want this list to read

3. All of Me
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays

Please tell me how to do this. I have 300 tunes in my repertoire and can
be
stuck for hours as the list changes frequently according to the next gig.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
hotmilne hotmilne is offline

I thought I had answered. I don't have the choice of Word 1 let alone Word 2.
I have the choice of a sort by Paragraph or by Field1

"hotmilne" wrote in message
I didn't generate my numbered list by inserting numbers. I added the
numbers
'manually'.
eg.
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays
3. All of Me

I want this list to read

3. All of Me
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays

Please tell me how to do this. I have 300 tunes in my repertoire and can
be
stuck for hours as the list changes frequently according to the next gig.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"hotmilne" wrote:
I thought I had answered. I don't have the choice of Word 1 let alone Word
2.
I have the choice of a sort by Paragraph or by Field1

Usually you only get more options after you've sorted once (and Word has had
a chance to analyze the selection you are trying to sort).

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In the Sort dialog, click Options, select Other, and type a space (assuming
there's a space after your numbers; if there's a tab, try selecting Tab).
You should then get Word 1, Word 2, etc., as options.

"hotmilne" wrote in message
I didn't generate my numbered list by inserting numbers. I added the
numbers
'manually'.
eg.
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays
3. All of Me

I want this list to read

3. All of Me
1. Georgia
2. Yesterdays

Please tell me how to do this. I have 300 tunes in my repertoire and
can
be
stuck for hours as the list changes frequently according to the next
gig.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swifty Swifty is offline

hotmilne wrote:
I thought I had answered. I don't have the choice of Word 1 let alone Word 2.
I have the choice of a sort by Paragraph or by Field1

It sounds as though you have included your "numbered list" as a sequence
of manually entered lines in one cell of a table.

If so, then your sorting options are pretty limited.

If I had to do this, I'd insert a two-column table in that cell, put the
numbers in column one, the text in column two, then all you have to do
is sort by column 2.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html