Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mroqueta mroqueta is offline

Default Word 2007 Table how insert table header row

I'm creating an APA document with a table that breaks across several pages. I
need to insert a table header row with a top and bottom border that repeats
the name of the table and says continued, like this:

Table 1 (continued)

ColumnTitle Column Title

How can I go about this in Word 2007? Your help is appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Format the first row of the table as desired. Select it. On the Layout tab
of the Table Tools, click Repeat Header Rows.

Note: Once again MS has made the label of this option extremely misleading.
Neither this label nor "Heading Rows Repeat" on the Table menu of Word 2003
is anywhere near as easy to understand as whatever it was in some previous
versions (I forget the wording) that made it clear the the option was to
would make more sense.

"mroqueta" wrote in message
I'm creating an APA document with a table that breaks across several
pages. I
need to insert a table header row with a top and bottom border that
repeats
the name of the table and says continued, like this:

Table 1 (continued)

ColumnTitle Column Title

How can I go about this in Word 2007? Your help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you need to repeat the table caption too, place it in the top row of the
table€”with "(continued) included. Select both rows and click the Repeat
header row button. One of Suzanne's wonderful pages describes how to use a
text box to hide the first instance of "(continued)". Let's hope she comes
back to tell you where it is.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Format the first row of the table as desired. Select it. On the Layout tab
of the Table Tools, click Repeat Header Rows.

Note: Once again MS has made the label of this option extremely misleading.
Neither this label nor "Heading Rows Repeat" on the Table menu of Word 2003
is anywhere near as easy to understand as whatever it was in some previous
versions (I forget the wording) that made it clear the the option was to
would make more sense.

I'm creating an APA document with a table that breaks across several
pages. I

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

How can I go about this in Word 2007? Your help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I don't think I or anyone else has ever actually written an article about
this, though perhaps I should. It's a fairly simple idea, though, that
really doesn't deserve a whole Web page:

1. Put the whole caption, including the "continued" notice, in the first row
and mark it as a heading row.

2. Insert a text box or AutoShape (no line, white fill) to just cover the
"continued" notice. Make sure that this shape is anchored in a non-heading
row so it won't repeat.

This is, of course, more complex than the above might suggest. If you use
the form "(continued)" or "--continued" after the full caption, you can just
about manage it (easier with parentheses than a dash). But if you want to
repeat just the table number (without the actual title) and the continued
notice, this won't work.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Format the first row of the table as desired. Select it. On the Layout tab
of the Table Tools, click Repeat Header Rows.

Note: Once again MS has made the label of this option extremely
misleading.
Neither this label nor "Heading Rows Repeat" on the Table menu of Word
2003
is anywhere near as easy to understand as whatever it was in some previous
versions (I forget the wording) that made it clear the the option was to
would make more sense.

I'm creating an APA document with a table that breaks across several
pages. I

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

How can I go about this in Word 2007? Your help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mroqueta mroqueta is offline

Thank you, Suzanne. That was a very clever solution! This is an APA
dissertation and they are sticklers for having everything perfect. I really
appreciate it.

Regards,

Mildred

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Format the first row of the table as desired. Select it. On the Layout tab
of the Table Tools, click Repeat Header Rows.

Note: Once again MS has made the label of this option extremely
misleading.
Neither this label nor "Heading Rows Repeat" on the Table menu of Word
2003
is anywhere near as easy to understand as whatever it was in some previous
versions (I forget the wording) that made it clear the the option was to
would make more sense.

I'm creating an APA document with a table that breaks across several
pages. I
[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

How can I go about this in Word 2007? Your help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Glad I could help. It would be really helpful if thesis/dissertation
committees (or the graduate office or whoever sets the requirements) would
become familiar enough with Word (or the WP software de jour) and learn what
can and can't be done within reason. Sometimes I think I'm glad I did my
thesis in the days when, as long you stayed inside the blue line, the
graduate office was happy, and my thesis advisor had no further requirements
of me except that the content make sense.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Format the first row of the table as desired. Select it. On the Layout
tab
of the Table Tools, click Repeat Header Rows.

Note: Once again MS has made the label of this option extremely
misleading.
Neither this label nor "Heading Rows Repeat" on the Table menu of Word
2003
is anywhere near as easy to understand as whatever it was in some
previous
versions (I forget the wording) that made it clear the the option was
it
would make more sense.