Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Graham is offline

Default Making gap between rows ?

Hi, I've quite a complicated form, with lots of Tables formatted to create
fields to be filled in. Title in one cell, fill in space in the adjacent R/H
cell etc. The top row of the table is tight against the top border of the
table, and I've separated lower rows with a carriage return.
Is there a way of removing the carriage returns and forcing a narrow gap,
say 1mm, inside the outer Table border, and between the rows (NOT the cells)
to keep the rows close, but distinct ?
I've tried all permutations of Table/Properties/Format but can't get the
result I want
Many Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If what you have are single-row tables each separated by a return and if what
you want is to reduce the space between the tables, reduce the point size and
spacing after for the return to say 3 points and zero space after.

HTH,
PamC

Graham wrote:
Hi, I've quite a complicated form, with lots of Tables formatted to create
fields to be filled in. Title in one cell, fill in space in the adjacent R/H
cell etc. The top row of the table is tight against the top border of the
table, and I've separated lower rows with a carriage return.
Is there a way of removing the carriage returns and forcing a narrow gap,
say 1mm, inside the outer Table border, and between the rows (NOT the cells)
to keep the rows close, but distinct ?
I've tried all permutations of Table/Properties/Format but can't get the
result I want
Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Graham is offline

HI Pam
Thanks for the reply. No, they are generally 5-6 row tables, and I'd like
the rows within each table separated by a tiny amount, just to make them
distinct boxes. I've done it with carriage returns, but thought there may be
a better way to do it, that can be easily changed if necessary.

Graham wrote:
Hi, I've quite a complicated form, with lots of Tables formatted to create
fields to be filled in. Title in one cell, fill in space in the adjacent R/H
cell etc. The top row of the table is tight against the top border of the
table, and I've separated lower rows with a carriage return.
Is there a way of removing the carriage returns and forcing a narrow gap,
say 1mm, inside the outer Table border, and between the rows (NOT the cells)
to keep the rows close, but distinct ?
I've tried all permutations of Table/Properties/Format but can't get the
result I want
Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Graham is offline

HI Suzanne, Thanks for your help as well. 'Space Before' seems to create a
space within the cell border, I'm trying to create space, or a buffer,
outside of the cell border, between two horizontal Rows of Cells.
I had assumed that there was a format function to do this that I just hadn't
been able to find, If not I'll have to go for a single full width shallow
blank cell bbetween each existing Row, but it seems an awfully tedious way of
achieving something, that appears relatively simple ?

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi, I've quite a complicated form, with lots of Tables formatted to create
fields to be filled in. Title in one cell, fill in space in the adjacent
R/H
cell etc. The top row of the table is tight against the top border of the
table, and I've separated lower rows with a carriage return.
Is there a way of removing the carriage returns and forcing a narrow gap,
say 1mm, inside the outer Table border, and between the rows (NOT the
cells)
to keep the rows close, but distinct ?
I've tried all permutations of Table/Properties/Format but can't get the
result I want
Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Well, a simpler solution is to use one of the double grid lines between the
rows.

PamC

Graham wrote:
HI Suzanne, Thanks for your help as well. 'Space Before' seems to create a
space within the cell border, I'm trying to create space, or a buffer,
outside of the cell border, between two horizontal Rows of Cells.
I had assumed that there was a format function to do this that I just hadn't
been able to find, If not I'll have to go for a single full width shallow
blank cell bbetween each existing Row, but it seems an awfully tedious way of
achieving something, that appears relatively simple ?

You can insert a blank row and remove borders if desired. Or you could add
Space After/Space Before to the text in the cells, as apropriate.

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
result I want
Many Thanks