Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fris Fris is offline

Default How do I make heading2 number dependent on heading1

I have Heading1 - with no numbering
Then Heading2 - With No's 1, 2, 3, etc
Now I require Heading3 to be dependent on Heading2 and it it should display
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2 etc after Heading2 No1 and
2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2 etc after Heading2 No2 etc
Please HELP
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I make heading2 number dependent on heading1

To make Heading 2 number dependent on Heading 1, and Heading 3 number dependent on Heading 2, you can use the Multilevel List feature in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to achieve this:
  1. First, make sure that your headings are formatted as Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3. You can do this by selecting the text and choosing the appropriate heading style from the Styles gallery on the Home tab.
  2. Next, click on the Home tab and locate the Multilevel List button in the Paragraph group. Click on the arrow next to it to open the Multilevel List gallery.
  3. In the Multilevel List gallery, choose the option that best matches the numbering scheme you want to use. For example, if you want to use numbers and sub-numbers, choose a list style that includes both.
  4. Once you have selected a list style, click on Define New Multilevel List at the bottom of the gallery.
  5. In the Define New Multilevel List dialog box, you can customize the numbering scheme for each level of the list. To make Heading 2 number dependent on Heading 1, select Level 2 from the list on the left, and then choose "1" from the "Start at" field. This will ensure that each Heading 2 starts with "1" and is numbered sequentially within each Heading 1.
  6. To make Heading 3 number dependent on Heading 2, select Level 3 from the list on the left, and then choose "1" from the "Start at" field. Then, in the "Number format" field, enter the code for the numbering scheme you want to use. For example, if you want to use "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2" for Heading 3 under Heading 2 No1, enter the code "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2" in the "Number format" field.
  7. Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.

Now, when you apply the Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 styles to your document, the numbering will be automatically applied according to the scheme you defined in the Multilevel List feature.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to what Suzanne said, note that you should include heading 1 in
your numbering scheme and link it to numbering level 1. Set the number font
for level 1 to hidden and follow the number with nothing.

If you are using W2007, you must set up the numbering through the multilevel
list icon on the home ribbon (instead of modify style). After choosing the
numbering scheme closest to what you want to end up with, choose define new
multilevel list. After that you can follow the directions from Shauna.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

I have Heading1 - with no numbering
Then Heading2 - With No's 1, 2, 3, etc

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2 etc after Heading2 No2 etc
Please HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fris Fris is offline

For all the Love & Money - read it a couple of times
(tried it even before I posted the question)
I still have my basic problem i.e. to get the numbering within the Chapter's
(i.e for every next Heading1) to follow on from the first
e.g. Chapter1 Title = Heading1
Then the Sub Titles =Heading2 and the numbering should be 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc
But it is 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 which is wrong as Chapter2 (i.e. the next Heading1)
should read 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc
Tried a couple of thing without any joy
Any other suggestions?