Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wbeam wbeam is offline

Default Why does my word split at the end of a line?

The word starts at the end of a line and ends at the start of the next line.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why does my word split at the end of a line?

This issue is called "widow and orphan control" in Microsoft Word. It happens when the last word of a paragraph is split between two lines, leaving only one or two words on the last line. This can be distracting and make the document look unprofessional. Fortunately, there are a few ways to fix this issue:
  1. Adjust the line spacing: You can try increasing the line spacing of the paragraph to see if it helps. To do this, select the paragraph, right-click, and choose "Paragraph". In the "Line spacing" section, choose "Multiple" and increase the value until the paragraph looks better.
  2. Adjust the paragraph settings: You can also adjust the paragraph settings to prevent widows and orphans. To do this, select the paragraph, right-click, and choose "Paragraph". In the "Line and Page Breaks" tab, check the box next to "Widow/Orphan control".
  3. Manually adjust the text: If the above options don't work, you can manually adjust the text to prevent widows and orphans. This may involve rewording the paragraph or adding or removing text to make it fit better.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You don't mention the version of Word you are using.
For 2003 and prior, Tools, Language, Hyphenation, uncheck the "Automatically
hyphenate document".
For 2007 I am not exactly sure where you will find this control, do a search
for hyphenation.
If this problem is occuring in all you new documents, you may need to open
the normal.dot and take of the hyphenation there, as well as in the
individual files.
Hope this helps
DeanH

The word starts at the end of a line and ends at the start of the next line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If words are breaking arbitrarily and without hyphenation, most likely your
document is corrupt; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

http://word.mvps.org