Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hilly Hilly is offline

Default Mail merge

Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had this mail
merge document set up for a while with no apparent problems
However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to scroll through each
page of the document in the "find recipient window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then if I tab to
the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While it is always possible that your document is corrupt, I am puzzled by
your description of the problem. Most merge documents will have only one or
two pages, so Page 1 should not be hard to find without resorting to tools?
How then are you searching for page numbers?

The more pertinent question is whether the page numbering is correct when
you merge to a new document.

See http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent problems
However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to scroll through
each page of the document in the "find recipient window" the page
number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then if I
tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hilly Hilly is offline

Hi Graham,

If I open the word document (office 2007) and goto mailings, there is a tab
where I can scroll through the pages for each recipient. If I open the
document as I have just done and it is on recipient 20 and try to scroll to
the next recipient it jumps to 66 (happens to be blank, ie no recipient)

If I try to scroll backwards from 65 it will go : 65, 64, 63,62,66.
The only way I can go to a recipient's page now is to physically type in
their name in the search box.

Thanks in advance

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent problems
However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to scroll through
each page of the document in the "find recipient window" the page
number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then if I
tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am unable to reproduce this - which suggests
1. A problem with your data source
2. A minor corruption of the merge document. Create a new simple merge
document and attach your data. Does it still exhibit the problem?
3. Interference from a third party add-in.
4. Your version of Word has not been updated to the current revision.

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then if
I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hilly Hilly is offline

Thanks Graham,
If I set up a new merge document (word), can I still use the same
spreadsheet for the data or do I need to set up a new spreadsheet.
If I can use the same spread sheet how do I do about merge it with the new
word if it is already used as a database for the original word document?

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then if
I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The spreadsheet is independent of the merge document. You can use it as many
times as you like. The attachment is only relevant when the merge document
in question is open.
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then
if I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
indigo30 indigo30 is offline

Perhaps you can help me with my problem. I'm trying to do a mail merge from
Excel worksheet to labels on Word. I'm a Vista user. I get the message "the
Office Open XML file can not be opened because the file is corrupt." Another
error explanation for my error said that I am using a "pre-release version" .
I am using Word 2007 and Excel 2007. I don't understand this. Any clarity
you can shed is most appreciated.

Thank you.

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then
if I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

At what point in the process do you get that error message?

Please detail the steps that you are taking.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then
if I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
indigo30 indigo30 is offline

Thanks for responding. I was trying to recreate my steps so I could tell you
what I did and now that error message doesn't come up. I don't know what I
did to make it work but now I have a whole new set of problems.

Orientation of the labels -- they're not horizontal on the label.
When I change anything it's hard for me to start back where I left off.
It's my first time doing it -- I'll try to figure it out. I found Windows
Demo more helpful than their text instructions.
Thanks for trying to help me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The text not being horizontal on the labels will almost certainly be caused
by your printer not being able to properly handle the label stock. If you
print onto plain paper, is the alignment correct?

--

.

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have
had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then
if I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
indigo30 indigo30 is offline

I haven't put it in the printer yet. On the screen the alignment isn't
correct. And I'm sorry if I'm not writing the newsgroup. I thought this was
the newsgroup. First time using this service.

Hilly wrote:
Hi ,

Iam using word 2007 with excel 2007 as my data source. I have
had
this mail merge document set up for a while with no apparent
problems However now when I go to the mailings tab and try to
scroll through each page of the document in the "find recipient
window" the page number jumps.

For example if I search for page 1, it will jump to page 50 then
if I tab to the next page it will jump to page 66.

Have you heard of that before?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you saying that the text is rotated throught 90 degrees?

Have you looked at the links on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or

http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

What type of label are you using?