Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default Using mailmerge to transfer data from Excel into specific Word lay

I'm running an experiment that will give me a spreadsheet in Excel with 20
participants names, addresses, email addresses, and profits (from the
experiment). My goal is to take this data and create individual receipts in
Word that have all the above information and can be printed out and handed to
the individuals (20 receipts). I have access to Office 2004 (Mac) or 2007
(Windows). Could someone else me through this process? I would really, really
appreciate it!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the €śIndividual Merge Letters€ť item on fellow MVP Graham Mayors website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

As you can use Word 2007, the €śAdd-in to Merge Letters to Separate Files€ť
that Graham and I have collaborated on and that can be downloaded from that
site will allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename
taken from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

If that information is of use to you, please do consider contributing to the
maintenance of that website to ensure its continued availability.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Anthony" wrote in message
I'm running an experiment that will give me a spreadsheet in Excel with 20
participants names, addresses, email addresses, and profits (from the
experiment). My goal is to take this data and create individual receipts
in
Word that have all the above information and can be printed out and handed
the individuals (20 receipts). I have access to Office 2004 (Mac) or 2007
(Windows). Could someone else me through this process? I would really,
really
appreciate it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As long as the document for each participant only relies on the data
from one record in your data source, this should be a relatively
straightforward Mailmerge (or in Word 2004, you would use the Data Merge
Manager).

There are some tutorials around, e.g. Microsoft has one for Word 2007 at

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100626281033

You could do worse than start with that, skip the irrelevant bits (e.g.
the discussion about using Outlook as a data source) and see where you
get to.

In this case, you would need a "Letter" type merge. When you eventually
"Finish and Merge" you can either merge to a new document ( Word calls
this "Edit individual documents", whereas in reality you get one output
document containing all the letters), then print that document, or
directly to the printer. Merging to a new document is generally less
wasteful, especially when you are developing a new merge.

In this group, if you post additional questions, please try to post them
in the same conversation. Although Word 2007 and Word 2004 mailmerge are
very similar in many respects, I think it's fair to say that most of the
regular contributors in this group are more likely to be able to help
with the 2007 version.

If you are more comfortable with Mac Word (and there are one or two
advantages to using that version) you could try the following tutorial -
although it's for Word 2008 and there are differences, the overall
process is very similar:

http://mac.microsoft.com/MacOffice/U...5-045319200bc7

One thing to bear in mind is that when you insert "mailmerge fields" in
Word 2007, you select the field name and it is inserted at the current
insertion point. In Mac Word, the idea is that you drag-and-drop the
field name from the Data Merge Manager (Word 2004) or Mail Merge Manager
(2008) into the appropriate place in your Letter.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk