Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Default Searching a particular directory

Sorry to ask what I suspect is a very basic question, but I can't find the
answer.

Is there a way, in Word, to search for a particular word or phrase in a
sub-directory of My Documents?

I'm using Word 2000 under Windows XP Pro SP2.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Using Windows Explorer select the folder. Click 'search' on the toolbar.
Select 'Documents'. Click the advanced search options and enter the word or
phrase in the appropriate dialog.

Bert Coules wrote:
Sorry to ask what I suspect is a very basic question, but I can't
find the answer.

Is there a way, in Word, to search for a particular word or phrase in
a sub-directory of My Documents?

I'm using Word 2000 under Windows XP Pro SP2.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Graham,

Thanks so much for that. I hadn't twigged that it was possible to use
Search when a single subdirectory was called up in Win Explorer - I've been
trying it with the Search option in the Start menu which doesn't appear to
allow the selection of anything below My Documents.

I said I thought it was a very basic question...

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Actually it does. At the screen with the dialog - Look In, there is a tiny
arrow to the right of the text window. Click that and at the bottom you will
find 'browse'. Use that to select the folder you want to search.

Bert Coules wrote:
Graham,

Thanks so much for that. I hadn't twigged that it was possible to use
Search when a single subdirectory was called up in Win Explorer -
I've been trying it with the Search option in the Start menu which
doesn't appear to allow the selection of anything below My Documents.

I said I thought it was a very basic question...

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Good grief, I've clicked that arrow countless times and never noticed that
final Browse option. Thank you!

It does make me wonder which other utterly basic Windows features there are
that I know nothing about.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Probably dozens: I keep finding something new nearly every day, most of them
are 'slap on the forehead' finds too that I am too embarrassed to share!

Terry Farrell

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Good grief, I've clicked that arrow countless times and never noticed that
final Browse option. Thank you!

It does make me wonder which other utterly basic Windows features there
are that I know nothing about.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Thanks; that makes me feel considerably better.

As a final thought on the search-within-a-particular-subdirectory thing, it
seems a pity that it can't be done from the File/Open menu in Word itself;
it feels very slightly awkward to have to leave the program in order to find
something to load into it.

And now, someone will tell me that it *can* be done, and utterly simply
too...

Bert

Searching a directory for a particular word(s) in many documents. Ssaunderslrmlaw Microsoft Word Help 1 May 1st 09 09:56 PM
Searching anmldr Microsoft Word Help 2 October 10th 07 11:16 PM
searching for = getting '?? Mona Webb Microsoft Word Help 3 September 14th 06 10:11 PM
Searching VBA Help MarieJ Microsoft Word Help 1 August 12th 06 07:04 PM
Searching Jeanne Microsoft Word Help 2 January 10th 06 10:52 PM