Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Default How do I type an 'overline' or 'overbar'?

For example, in writing mathematical notation, to designate an average
figure, one places a horizontal bar over the variable name. The same notation
is used in linguistics to indicate a phrase at a particular level of
analysis. I have need of both of these, but how do I get Word to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Peyton Todd
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I type an 'overline' or 'overbar'?

Hi Peyton,

To type an overline or overbar in Microsoft Word, you can use the Equation Editor. Here are the steps:
  1. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Equation" in the "Symbols" section.
  3. In the Equation Editor, click on the "Accent" button in the "Structures" section.
  4. Select "Overbar" or "Overline" from the drop-down menu.
  5. Type the variable name or phrase you want to put the overline or overbar over.
  6. Click outside of the Equation Editor to return to your document.

Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + 7" to insert an overline or overbar. Simply type the variable name or phrase you want to put the overline or overbar over, then press "Ctrl + Shift + 7" to apply the formatting.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, you have saved me yet again, even including providing for
the deletion of the space that follows the field, and in the case of a zero
with a slash through it, showing me how I can provide a subscript just after
it, via the Alt-F9 editing capability you called my attention to.

I have just one remaining quibble. No doubt the publisher of my paper can
handle this, but why is the slash through the zero properly centered in one
of my examples and not in the other? Unfortunately, this forum format does
not recognize Word fields, but in the example below, the slash appears more
or less in the center of the final 'O' (after 'buried') but too far to the
left in the earlier instance (after 'and'). If it matters, I'm using a
capital 'O' instead of a zero.

She fell and O/i broke her hip vs. She died and they buried O/i)

Thanks,

Peyton Todd

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
For example, in writing mathematical notation, to designate an average
figure, one places a horizontal bar over the variable name. The same
notation
is used in linguistics to indicate a phrase at a particular level of
analysis. I have need of both of these, but how do I get Word to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Peyton Todd

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That I don't know--perhaps something to do with kerning--but you don't need
to create a character for Ø, which is already present in most fonts (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm for caveats about
reinventing the wheel). The built-in keyboard shortcut for it is Ctrl+/, O
(that is, Shift+o).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
For example, in writing mathematical notation, to designate an average
figure, one places a horizontal bar over the variable name. The same
notation
is used in linguistics to indicate a phrase at a particular level of
analysis. I have need of both of these, but how do I get Word to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Peyton Todd

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Thanks for coming to my rescue once again! I notice you have a web page,
etc., and was pleased to note your connections to Agnes Scott College, where
my late aunt graduated, and to Emory, where my late mother graduated, being
one of the first crop of 'co-eds' accepted there some time in the 1920's (I
think1925 or 1926).
--
Peyton Todd

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
For example, in writing mathematical notation, to designate an average
figure, one places a horizontal bar over the variable name. The same
notation
is used in linguistics to indicate a phrase at a particular level of
analysis. I have need of both of these, but how do I get Word to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Peyton Todd

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was hard put to it to remember which of my many Web pages/sites said
anything about either ASC or EU--then recalled that the home page of
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordsintotype does mention them.

Our family has fairly well covered Atlanta educationally. My husband is a
three-time Emory grad, his father was a chemical engineer from Georgia Tech,
and our son graduated from Oglethorpe University. And I taught at The Lovett
School for three years before going back to grad school.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
For example, in writing mathematical notation, to designate an
average
figure, one places a horizontal bar over the variable name. The same
notation
is used in linguistics to indicate a phrase at a particular level of
analysis. I have need of both of these, but how do I get Word to do
it?

Thanks for your help,

Peyton Todd

.

.

Continuous overbar like underline? Sesquipedalian Sam New Users 5 July 15th 09 03:30 AM
overline Benny Microsoft Word Help 1 February 6th 09 01:31 AM
how do overline text ? the opposite of overline Krishna D Microsoft Word Help 2 February 23rd 07 02:19 PM
overbar characters, as in the symbol for 'mean' wetlander Microsoft Word Help 3 October 23rd 06 02:11 AM
require I-MR, X-R, X-S with overbar over the characters MR and . SteveT Microsoft Word Help 1 April 7th 05 06:33 AM