Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peyton Todd[_2_] Peyton Todd[_2_] is offline

Default How Enter Special Character With Dots Over It?

Hello. I need to enter special characters with dots over them. I know this
can be done with vowels and the letter 'y' by keying Shift-Control and then
the letter. But I need to do it over *consonants* - at least capital B and V
and maybe so others. If beggars can be choosers, I would very much prefer
three dots instead of just two.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How Enter Special Character With Dots Over It?

Hi there! Yes, you can definitely enter special characters with dots over consonants in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. First, place your cursor where you want to insert the special character.
  2. Next, go to the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on Symbol in the Symbols section of the ribbon.
  4. In the drop-down menu, select More Symbols.
  5. In the Symbol dialog box, select Latin Extended-A from the Subset drop-down menu.
  6. Scroll down until you find the character you want to insert. For example, the capital letter "B" with three dots over it is Unicode character U+1E02.
  7. Double-click on the character to insert it into your document.

Alternatively, you can also use keyboard shortcuts to insert special characters with dots over consonants:

1. Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard.
2. While holding down the Alt key, type the Unicode value for the character you want to insert using the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard. For example, to insert the capital letter "B" with three dots over it, type "0190" (without the quotes).
3. Release the Alt key and the character should appear in your document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:15:01 -0800, Peyton Todd Peyton
wrote:

Hello. I need to enter special characters with dots over them. I know this
can be done with vowels and the letter 'y' by keying Shift-Control and then
the letter. But I need to do it over *consonants* - at least capital B and V
and maybe so others. If beggars can be choosers, I would very much prefer
three dots instead of just two.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Open the Insert Symbols dialog and change the Subset box to
Combining Diacritical Marks. At Unicode 0308 you'll find the
"combining diaeresis" character, two dots that can be placed over any
character.

I suggest that you make an AutoCorrect entry for each letter +
diaeresis combination you need. For example:

- Type the letter B in a document.
- Go to Insert Symbol and insert the diaeresis.
- Select the B and diaeresis.
- Go to Tools AutoCorrect Options.
- In the Replace box, enter something unique that will serve as a
"trigger" to enter the AutoCorrect item. I suggest \b: (that is,
backslash, b, and colon) as a trigger that's unlikely to be entered by
mistake.
- Click the Add button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:
[...]

Or, while you're in Insert Symbol locating the Combining Diacritic for
dieresis, create a keyboard shortcut for that character alone (button
at middle bottom of Insert Symbol) and type it after a letter you want
the dots on top of.

If you want "three dots," how do you want them arranged?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] levykm@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:15:01 PM UTC-6, Peyton Todd wrote:
Hello. I need to enter special characters with dots over them. I know this can be done with vowels and the letter 'y' by keying Shift-Control and then the letter. But I need to do it over *consonants* - at least capital B and V and maybe so others. If beggars can be choosers, I would very much prefer three dots instead of just two.Any ideas?Thanks!

The proper way is to go to the "Insert" ribbon, select the "equation" button which brings up the Equation Tools menu, and then select from the "Accent" menu on the right.
abuahad abuahad is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton Todd[_2_] View Post

This aritcle may help you in this regard http://www.technetbd.com/letters-with-accent-marks/