Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tonish Tonish is offline

Default Creating a new document by adding other documents

I am using word 2007. I need to create a new single document from three
existing documents. All docs are word 2003. Also how do I lock each page in
the documents from changing when editing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'd use the Insert File dialog box (Insert tab | Object | Text from File in
Word 2007) to bring the documents together; that will also give you a
"preview" of which format changes (if any) that you may have to deal with in
the process.

On the other hand, if you want to preserve formatting (as indicated by your
final question), it would be easier to create three PDFs and then combine
those into a single PDF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tonish" wrote in message
I am using word 2007. I need to create a new single document from three
existing documents. All docs are word 2003. Also how do I lock each page
in the documents from changing when editing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tonish Tonish is offline

"Tonish" wrote in message
I am using word 2007. I need to create a new single document from three
existing documents. All docs are word 2003. Also how do I lock each page
in the documents from changing when editing?

The 3 files were created by scanning 3 different documents into PDF and then converting to MS Word. I will be sanning a number of more files and converting. I just thought there would be a way to include all finished word files into one large file.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

"Tonish" wrote in message
The 3 files were created by scanning 3 different documents into PDF and then
converting to MS Word. I will be sanning a number of more files and
converting. I just thought there would be a way to include all finished
word files into one large file.

It would be almost impossible to do this as the resulting documents will
undoubtedly have similar style names with conflicting descriptions which
cannot co-exist in a document. The simplest method (though time consuming)
would be to use your OCR software scan as plain text then format that text
as you require it. There is no simple way to combine a disparate group of
documents into a single document, and unless there is a pressing reason to
do so I would not bother. Keep the documents separate, or leave them as PDF
and use (say) Acrobat to combine them.