Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dbuchanan[_2_] dbuchanan[_2_] is offline

Default Word Templates

I have a document with its template as my own custom template. If I make
changes to the styles how do I save them as permanent changes to my undelying
custom template?
--
dbuchanan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make sure a document based on your custom template is the active document.
In the Modify Style dialog box, make the desired changes and then select
"New documents based on this template" (Word 2007) or "Add to template"
(Word 97-2003). When you are prompted to save your template, choose to do
so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dbuchanan" wrote in message
I have a document with its template as my own custom template. If I make
changes to the styles how do I save them as permanent changes to my
undelying
custom template?
--
dbuchanan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dbuchanan[_2_] dbuchanan[_2_] is offline

Is there a way to make this the default behavior (Word 2008) - at least
during the development of the Template during a document edit? There are so
many places to make edits to style (i.e. each individual text style...) it
can be difficult to remember which specific edits where specified with the
selection "New documents based on this template"
--
dbuchanan

"dbuchanan" wrote in message
I have a document with its template as my own custom template. If I make
changes to the styles how do I save them as permanent changes to my
undelying
custom template?
--
dbuchanan

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, "Add to template" / "New documents based on this template" is always
turned off after each use. (At least this is true for WinWord; you may want
to check in a MacWord newsgroup.)

But note that you can make use of the option at any time to make sure that
the most recent version of the style is copied to the template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP