Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SallyF SallyF is offline

Default Add an Appendix to the TOC same as Heading 1 style?

MS Word 2007, XP. I've created my styles and TOC, but need to re-do it so
that I can add an Appendix style to the TOC. I went in to recreate the TOC,
but don't see how to get it to let me add the Appendix level so that it will
show up in the TOC. My first level (Heading 1) has "SECTION 1". I want the
Appendix to show up as "APPENDIX 1" etc. HELP!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add an Appendix to the TOC same as Heading 1 style?

Sure, I can help you with that! Here are the steps to add an Appendix style to the TOC in MS Word 2007 and XP:
  1. First, make sure that you have created a style for your Appendix headings. You can do this by going to the Home tab and clicking on the Styles group. From there, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the Styles pane. Click on the New Style button at the bottom of the pane, and then give your new style a name (e.g. Appendix). Customize the font, size, and other formatting options as desired, and then click OK to save the style.
  2. Next, you need to modify your TOC settings to include the Appendix style. To do this, go to the References tab and click on the Table of Contents button in the Table of Contents group. Choose Insert Table of Contents from the dropdown menu.
  3. In the Table of Contents dialog box, make sure that the "Show levels" option is set to at least 2 (or higher if you have more than 2 levels of headings in your document). Then, click on the Options button.
  4. In the Table of Contents Options dialog box, you should see a list of available styles on the left side. Scroll down until you find your Appendix style, and then select it. On the right side, you can choose the level that you want the Appendix style to appear as in the TOC. For example, if you want it to be a second-level heading (like Heading 2), select Level 2 from the dropdown menu. Then, click OK to save your changes.
  5. Finally, click OK in the Table of Contents dialog box to insert your updated TOC. Your Appendix headings should now appear in the TOC with the correct numbering and formatting.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

First apply a unique style to the title of your appendix. Then, go to the
References ribbon, click on Table of Contents and then click on Insert Table
of Contents. When the window pops up, click on Options. This will give you a
window where you can select the styles that will show up in your TOC. In the
field called TOC level, enter 1 to make it the same as your heading 1.

I hope this helps.

"SallyF" wrote:

MS Word 2007, XP. I've created my styles and TOC, but need to re-do it so
that I can add an Appendix style to the TOC. I went in to recreate the TOC,
but don't see how to get it to let me add the Appendix level so that it will
show up in the TOC. My first level (Heading 1) has "SECTION 1". I want the
Appendix to show up as "APPENDIX 1" etc. HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

When you create the TOC, you get the dialog box of Index and Tables and the
Table of Contents tab. In the lower right you have a button Options. This
listing allows you to find your Appendix styles and give it the TOC Level you
wish to assign to it, you say 1 in your posting, so add a 1 and press OK.
Then OK and create the TOC and your Appendices should all appear in the same
style as your Heading 1s.

I am sure you will see that because "Appendix A" is longer than "1." the
heading text are not aligned. Becasue Word will auto tab text when longer
text pushes it into the next tab step.
A way to get this to look better, I use the TOC7 style for appendices,
instead of entering 1 as described above enter 7, and arrange for TOC7 style
to be based on TOC1 but I sort out the tabs so you get a better arrangement
than before.

Hope this helps
DeanH