Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andrea230278 andrea230278 is offline

Default Word 2007: automatic numbering has disappeared - but was there bef

HI

I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the automatic
numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
2007 if that makes any difference.

As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and linked
by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".

Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has just
gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007: automatic numbering has disappeared - but was there bef

Hi there! It sounds like the automatic numbering feature may have been turned off or disabled in the document. Here are a few steps you can try to bring it back:
  1. Check the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen. Look for the "Paragraph" section and see if the "Numbering" button is highlighted. If it is, click on it to turn on automatic numbering.
  2. If the "Numbering" button is not highlighted, click on the small arrow next to it to open the "Numbering Library" menu. From there, you can select a numbering format to apply to your document.
  3. If neither of these options work, it's possible that the numbering feature was removed from the document template. To check this, go to the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon and click on "Page Setup." Then, click on the "Layout" tab and look for the "Line Numbers" section. Make sure the "Add line numbering" box is checked.
  4. If none of these steps work, it's possible that the document was saved without the numbering feature. In this case, you may need to manually add the numbers back in using the "Insert" tab in the ribbon and selecting "Page Number."
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that any kind of numbering (paragraph/outline numbering, footnotes,
fields) may be incorrect in a document where Track Changes is enabled. It
should straighten itself out as soon as you accept the changes.

But numbering shouldn't disappear completely from the headings. Make sure
that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and
Add-Ins dialog box, and then reapply the numbering.

To open the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, first display the Developer
tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular category: "Show Developer tab in
the Ribbon"). Then click the Document Template button on that tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"andrea230278" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andrea230278 andrea230278 is offline

Default Word 2007: automatic numbering has disappeared - but was there

Thank you very much for your help but I have now discovered that this probelm
relates to ALL documents that contain automatic numbering which were created
in an earlier version of Word and then now opened in Word 2007, not just the
doc I have posted about before - the fact that I was track changing the
original document now seems of no relevance as it is occuring in non-track
changed docs.

The primary numbered headings are still there, i.e 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, - what
has disapeared is the sub-paragraph numbering in between the primary headings
, i.e, 2.1, 2.1, 2.3 etc. - but the paragraphs are indented as if the numbers
should be there.

Is there any kind of conflict between older and newer versions of Word that
you or anyone else may know of where automatic numbering is concerned? It is
drivingme nuts and I would need to find a solution!

Thanks again, in advance

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, document corruption comes to mind, but since the issue affects many
documents, corruption is unlikely to be the cause.

Are you saying that the problem is with level 2 numbering only? Can you fix
the numbering by editing it in the multilevel list dialog?

Also, have you tried printing the document (in case it's a display issue)?