Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenC JenC is offline

Default Default to One-Sided Printing for Single Documents

I have my printer defaults set to print double-sided. However, I do have a
couple of documents that I ALWAYS need to print one-sided. Is there any way
to set the defaults for just these documents so the printer default is
over-ridden, and they print single-sided? Otherwise I often forget and end up
having to print the document twice.

Thanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Default to One-Sided Printing for Single Documents

Yes, you can change the printing settings for individual documents in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. Open the document you want to print.
  2. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Click on "Print" in the left-hand menu.
  4. In the "Settings" section, click on the drop-down menu next to "Print All Pages" and select "Custom Print."
  5. In the "Custom Print" dialog box, click on the "One Sided" option under "Print One Sided."
  6. Click "Print" to print the document with the one-sided setting.

This will override your printer's default setting for this particular document and ensure that it prints single-sided. You can then change the setting back to double-sided for future documents by following the same steps and selecting "Print on Both Sides" in the "Custom Print" dialog box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since this setting is usually in the printer Properties, the answer is no
for at least versions through Word 2007. It would appear from another
posting that there is a setting in Word 2010 that attempts to accomplish
this, but it seems not to work reliably, at least not on a network printer.

http://word.mvps.org

"JenC" wrote in message
news
I have my printer defaults set to print double-sided. However, I do have a
couple of documents that I ALWAYS need to print one-sided. Is there any
way
to set the defaults for just these documents so the printer default is
over-ridden, and they print single-sided? Otherwise I often forget and end
up
having to print the document twice.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If your printer accepts PCL commands, you may be able to use a PRINT field
at the start of the document. A PRINT field is simply a type of field that
allows you to send instructions directly to the printer.

There are 3 possible data values for duplex setting: PRINT 27"&l0S" simplex
PRINT 27"&l1S" vertical duplex . PRINT 27"&l2S" horizontal duplex
(bookformat)

The codes after PRINT are 27 (escape), double quote, ampersand, lowercase L,
0, 1 or 2, uppercase S and finally terminated with a double quote.

Thus for simplex you would insert the following field :
{ PRINT 27"&l0S" }

OR

It would also be possible to modify the print settings by intercepting the
print routine with a macro in the document's template. For this to work the
user would need access to the documents template at print time, and you
would probably need to set up a copy of the printer driver configured for
single sided printing to switch to. See
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm for some examples.

"JenC" wrote in message
news
I have my printer defaults set to print double-sided. However, I do have a
couple of documents that I ALWAYS need to print one-sided. Is there any
way
to set the defaults for just these documents so the printer default is
over-ridden, and they print single-sided? Otherwise I often forget and end
up
having to print the document twice.

Thanks!

aiden1 aiden1 is offline
Junior Member

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenC View Post
I have my printer defaults set to print double-sided. However, I do have a
couple of documents that I ALWAYS need to print one-sided. Is there any way
to set the defaults for just these documents so the printer default is
over-ridden, and they print single-sided? Otherwise I often forget and end up
having to print the document twice.

Thanks!
Appealing perplexed on what you are trying to request on the magi card version, Anyways, I have accumulate a helpful article for ID card printers on http://ezinearticles.com/?Uses-of-Ca...ers&id=4219693
. May be this could assist you in selecting the exact type of printer and do have a look at it in your extra time for some information.