Jeff

Default special styles for a document

This is a rather basic question, but I do not know the answer to it. I'm
using Word 2002 from Office XP.

I am in the early stages of writing what will be a long document (400+
pages) for which I want special style definitions (Headings formats, etc.).
I do not plan to use these settings for any other documents. If I change the
style settings while working within that document, will they still be
available there after I save and close the document and then reopen it to
add more text, or do I need to create a special template just for that
document for the style changes to remain what I changed them to?

I vaguely remember that when I change styles in a document, Word asks me on
saving if I want to change the default template doc. I do not want these
changes for the default document template, just for this one.

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Anne Troy

No need, Jeff. The styles are saved right in your document.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Anne is correct, but maybe you should note that every time you save (and
that should be VERY frequently with a large document), you will be prompted
to save changes to the template. I would recommend that to stop this
behaviour, you create another template with a slightly different name and
create your document for that template. Then when you customise a style and
save it to the template, it won't matter!

Terry Farrell

:
[...]
: --
:
: Jeff Stevens
: Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
:
:
:
:

Charles Kenyon

If you are getting the question about saving changes to the template because
of style changes it is because you are telling Word make changes to the
template by checking the box in the style modification dialog. Stop doing
this.

Also make sure under Tools Templates and Add-Ins that the checkbox for
updating styles automatically upon opening is not checked, or you will lose
any changes you make that you don't save back to your template.

http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Jeff

Thanks for the info.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Styles ACTUALLY used in document Ewout Microsoft Word Help 6 June 20th 05 12:02 PM
Interactions between Normal and custom templates Patrick Microsoft Word Help 4 May 30th 05 03:06 PM
numbering chapter sub headings c_angler Microsoft Word Help 36 May 17th 05 04:07 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Document Map Question PosseJohn Page Layout 2 March 23rd 05 01:27 PM