fetzer

Default If funtion help

Hello,

I am in a racing league and have a page in my spreadsheet which will
distribute points to a driver depending upon where he/she has finished
in the race.

As an example, the driver who finishes in the 1st postion receives 21
points, 2nd position receives 17 points, etc. The list contains a total
of twelve drivers. My intention was to enter the finishing position of
each driver in a particular cell, and in another cell the formula will
calculate the appropriate points. I have attempted to use the "If"
function, as in IF(L22="1","21", If(, etc: However, a well known
limitation to Excel is that you cannot "nest" more than 7 functions
with this statement.

I have used the CHOOSE function, which works nicely as when the
finishing position is entered, the formula will assign the driver the
appropriate number of points. However, I am still running into an
issue. Each cell that has the CHOOSE funtion looks like this: ######.
It's onlly until I enter the finishing position for the driver that it
will return the points awarded.

The last column of the spreadsheet there is a "Total Points" column
which will add the total number of points for each driver throughout
the race season. The cells in that column look like this: $VALUE! It
is only until I enter the finishing position for the driver for every
race that the Total Points column will change from $VALUE! to, say a
total points of 75. I would like the Total Points column to show
accumulated points after every race. With this funtion you have to
finish every race in a season to show the total number of points for
each driver

I have noticed on a number of websites, such as this that the VLOOKUP
function may be an option, but I am uncertain on how to use this for my
spreadsheet. This is probably very confusing and have worded this the
best that I can being a beginner to the program. Any help would be
much appreciated. Thank you!

--
fetzerPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Luc

Fetzer,
You would be better off if you asked this question in the Excel newsgroup.
You have landed in the Word newsgroup, not that we don't know anything about
Excel but there are people who know much much more.
Luc
"fetzer" fetzer.1rjspb@ schreef in bericht

Date funtion bmspear Mailmerge 2 April 8th 05 10:41 PM
Why is the footnote funtion grey? Kmac Page Layout 1 February 9th 05 11:15 PM
Nesting IF statments in BARCODE funtion.. S Stone Mailmerge 0 December 30th 04 12:53 AM