Mike Seddon

Default Auto loading one of my templates

When I open a new document, it always loads normal.dot as the
template.

I would like to be able to load word with my own template already
preselected.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Mike
Margaret Aldis

The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from the
template.

It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to include
a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Mike Seddon" wrote in message
When I open a new document, it always loads normal.dot as the
template.

I would like to be able to load word with my own template already
preselected.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Mike

Stan Brown

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:51:43 +0100, "Margaret Aldis"
wrote:

The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from the
template.

It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to include
a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.

The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
argument.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

JR

Use windows explorer or search to find the file "winword.exe"
Right click the file name and then "send to" desktop (create a shortcut).
You now have an editable shortcut to word on your desktop
John

wrote:

The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from
the
template.

It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to
include
a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.

The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
argument.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Stan Brown

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:00:48 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from the
template.

It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to include
a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.

The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
argument.

The shortcuts that Office creates when it installs are in fact not editable.
But you can create your own.

That's true, but I temporarily forgot; thanks for the reminder.

Any idea why Microsoft decided to create non-editable shortcuts
instead of editable shortcuts?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
Mike Seddon

Thanks for all the feedback.

Now for a slightly different twist.

Is there a way that I can open an existing document which has been
built using one template BUT open it in my version of Word with my
template and force it into the style of my template.

I don;t believe there is.

Thanks

Mike

You can use Tools | Templates and Add-ins to attach a different template.
With the box "Automatically update document styles" checked (once only, then
uncheck it), styles of the same name will be updated. But styles are the
*only* thing that will be updated; you will not get the section-level
formatting of the document (margins, headers/footers, columns, watermarks,
etc.). To get all the formatting of your template, create a new document
based on it, press the Spacebar to dirty it, and use Insert | File to insert
the old document.