markf

Default Separate default location for picture files?

How do I specify the default location for finding picture files (used by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must specify my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

markf

Hello Suzanne,

I just tried it and you are correct: the functionality I need is there, it
is just mislabeled.

I strongly suggest that "Clipart pictures" be renamed "User pictures" or
some such thing in the next update.

Thank you very much for pointing this out.

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture files (used by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must specify

my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

One caveat, which I didn't mention since it appeared that you already had a
path for "Clip art pictures." As long as no path is specified, Word does not
revert to the default every time you open Insert | Picture | From File;
instead, it uses the last-opened folder. I suspect that once a path has been
specified, it can't be removed (I haven't tried); if, like me, you get tired
of repeatedly navigating from My Pictures (or whatever folder you chose) to
some other folder you're currently using a lot, you can add the folder to
the Places Bar (in Word 2002 and 2003) for one-click access.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The location for "Clip art" is really for pictures (and has nothing to

do
with clip art, actually). The wording is confusing, I agree.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture files (used

by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not

distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must

specify
my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

markf

Helllo Suzanne,
I really like your Places Bar suggestion - another corner of Word that I
never new about. However, now I seem to be stuck as you guessed. Having
specified a path in Options File locations, I cannot figure out how to
completely remove the path. Apparently, as long as there is a path
specified, Word always defaults to that path for every Insert Picture from
File operation. Now I would prefer to revert back to the original behavior
in which Word remembers my last used path.

Anyone know how to completely remove the Clipart pictures path from Options
File locations?

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture files (used

by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not

distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must

specify
my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

Ouch! I wish I'd mentioned that before. From your original question it
sounded as if you already had a folder (but not the one you wanted)
specified. If it's possible to remove the path entirely, I don't know how to
do it; I imagine it would involve Registry editing. Perhaps someone will
post back with that information.

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture files

(used
by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not

distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must

specify
my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

markf

Just to be clear, here is how I think MS Word should work with regard to the
file save dialog box that appears when I Insert Picture from file... :

1) Upon first use, the directory should be the one which I specify in Tools
Options File Locations (Clipart pictures).

2) If, in the file save dialog box, I change directories during the current
session, then the next time I see this dialog box it should be at the new
directory location. This should hold true whether I change directories by
the scroll down directory list or use the great convenience of My Places.
3) After I close down Word entirely and reopen it, then states 1) and 2) are
repeated.

In my opinion, this behavior would be the most key-stroke efficient for the
great majority of users. It is also the way other programs I have used work
and I like it. Unfortunately, this is not how Word 2003 currently operates.
So to get the most important part of this functionality back (memory of last
used directory in current session), I am faced with the problem (work around)
of finding a way to remove any reference to a directory in Tools Options
File locations (Clipart pictures).

I insert pictures into documents all day long and they do not always
originate from the same directory. So efficient directory switching and
directory recall is important to me and I would guess to many other users.

Thank you.

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture files

(used
by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not
distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must
specify
my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

markf

Using regedit, I searched the registry for "PICTURE-PATH". It was found
under
HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-2-........../Software/Microsoft/Office/11.0/Word/Options

PICTURE-PATH entry contained the directory I specified within word. After
clearing the value of this entry (but of course leaving the key) and exiting
the registry, Word is back to remembering the last directory.

No guarantees, but it seems to be working.

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture files

(used
by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not
distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I must
specify
my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up Word.

markf

I would call the current behavior a BUG since we expect directory recall to
always be in effect. Also, it should not be necessary to edit the registry
in order to clear a directory entry from Tools Options File locations
(BUG 2).

However, it is ok with me if no entry defaults to the "My Pictures"
directory. This is an ok place to collect shortcuts to your other picture
folders.

"markf" wrote in message
How do I specify the default location for finding picture

files
(used
by
InsertPicture from file... )?
The drop down menu item ToolsOptionsFile Locations does not
distinguish
between clip art and pictures. As a result, it seems that I

must
specify
my
preferred directory for picture files every time I open up

Word.

Thanks, Mark. This seems to be what we need. I'll have to try it!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The location for "Clip art" is really for pictures (and has

nothing
do
with clip art, actually). The wording is confusing, I agree.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.