mickey

Default page numbering and footnotes

Two questions:
1) Started with 3-4 page files in folders but this is turning into a book I
will write. How do I program continuous page numbers throughout all the
files once I put the files in the order I want them to make sequential
"chapters".
2).I started with footnotes at the bottom of each page but I now want them
at the end of each chapter or maybe in a reference section by chapter at the
end of the book. How do I transform the current footnotes to these other
formats?
--
mickey
Daiya Mitchell

1) Started with 3-4 page files in folders but this is turning into a book I
will write. How do I program continuous page numbers throughout all the
files once I put the files in the order I want them to make sequential
"chapters".

Assuming you aren't intending to combine all the files into one when you are
done writing, you can manually set the "start at" number for the page
numbers in each file. I believe this article includes the macro code that
will do it for you.
Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents
2).I started with footnotes at the bottom of each page but I now want them
at the end of each chapter or maybe in a reference section by chapter at the
end of the book. How do I transform the current footnotes to these other
formats?

Convert them to endnotes. How you do this depends on your version of Word,
which you didn't mention. It's probably somewhere in the Insert | Footnote
or Insert | Reference dialog.

If you want to keep all the chapters separate *and* separate the endnotes
from the text they go with, that's gonna be a bit of a hassle, and you would
only want to do it at the very end when you are all done writing, as they
would no longer number automatically.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/