Sherry

Default Margins & Headers

Ok, here goes again. I have a one-page document that has
a header. If the page extends into a 2nd or 3rd page, I
do not want a header on subsequent pages. The 1st page
top margin needs to be set at 2.25, while subsequent
pages (if they appear) need a top margin of 1.25. It
seems I can solve these two problems, but not at the same
time. I can elect for a different first page header by
going to Page Setup--Layout--Different First Page
Header. That does not solve the problem of a different
top margin. That I tried to solve by putting in a section
break immediately after the header on the first page.
That will work to a degree in that I can then make the
2nd and subsequent pages have a different top margin.
However, placement of the section break means that when a
user opens the document and begins to type, the insertion
point comes BEFORE the hidden section break, thereby
moving the section break down the page as typing
commences, and therefore formatting the 2nd page same as
the first.

I have been told many numerous remedies, mostly to either
insert a paragraph on the first page for the extra space,
or to use a text box. Neither case is sufficient for what
my users need. They need for the insertion point to be at
the EXACT location that they need to begin typing without
changing any of the formatting. Surely as powerful an
application as Word is, there must be a way to handle
something this simple.

This document is actually a letterhead that I have
created with my logo, etc within the Header of the first
page. If I do not place the logo in the Header and place
it in the document as an object instead, the insertion
point comes before the object, making everything move
down. My users are not computer literate and would not
know how to change a header, or how to move their
insertion point.

The biggest test comes from a user who is several steps
above me on the chain of command, so I must satisfy his
desires on this letterhead at all costs..lol....He
creates his document as a plain document, then cuts and
pastes it onto the letterhead. I know this is crazy and
useless, but try to tell him that. Anyway, with the logo
as an object, the cut and paste moves the object down the
page and the text he pastes sort of goes into the middle
of the object.

Other users simply open the template and begin typing but
again, the insertion point moves the section break.

Help!!! Pulling my hair out over this one! Please feel
free to email me if you can offer any further suggestions!
Charles Kenyon

Use a Textbox in your first page header to mimic having different margins.
See Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

You may also want to take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other
document where you want one header on the first page and a different header
on other pages. http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives
step-by-step instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

A text box is really not necessary and just adds to document complexity.
Space Before/After is all that is required (whether you have a letterhead in
the header or just an empty paragraph).

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Thank you. You are right; it isn't needed to change the top and bottom
margins, only left and right.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
A text box is really not necessary and just adds to document complexity.
Space Before/After is all that is required (whether you have a letterhead
in
the header or just an empty paragraph).

so
all may benefit.