Phil James

Default Adding automatic hyphenation to Normal.dot

Hello all!

I've just finished customizing Normal.dot to suit me, but I can't get
"automatic hyphenation" to "take." Everything else worked fine.

I'm using Word 2000 under Windows 98 Second Edition on an IBM ThinkPad A20m.

I go to "toolslanguagehyphenation," make the change, then go to
"formatstyle," make a change which I then reverse out later, check the "add
to template" box, and save. I could change "page layout" using this
technique, but it doesn't work for "automatic hyphenation."

How can I get this feature into my Normal.dot?

Thanks...

Phil

Daiya Mitchell

Didn't you already have an extended conversation on this issue on a
different newsgroup?

As I followed that discussion, I kept wanting to say: Please note that:
I go to "toolslanguagehyphenation," make the change,

Does not save it to Normal.dot. All that messing about with the style after
does not mean to you saved hyphenation to Normal.dot. If there isn't an
"add to template" or "make default" option, I don't think Word will save it
back to Normal.dot for you. Page Layout dialog has a "default..." button.
Hyphenation does not. The hyphenation setting does not become part of the
defined style. What made you expect this to work? Are you seeing something
different in your version than I see in mine?

Anyhow, as two people told you in your original thread yesterday:
Find Normal.dot, open the template itself and make the change there.

DM

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Phil James

Daiya...

You're absolutely right! As I posted in the other newsgroup, the mistake I
was making was trying to modify a "new document" and save it to Normal.dot.
When I found out where Normal.dot was, opened it from there, modified it,
and saved it, everything worked out fine.

The reason I thought saving via the "style" "add to template" approach might
work is because I was able to use that approach in modifying the page layout
option. But it didn't work with hyphenation, and now I know why.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Phil