GerryM

Default strange rtf behavior

I've created an rtf file with top margin = 1/2", 10 rows 1" high, bottom
margin 1/2". That adds up to 720 + 10*1440 + 720 = 15840 twips = 11". Word
insists on adding a blank page at the end. How come?

Making the bottom margin smaller eliminates the extra page but triggers an
error message because the printer needs a 1/2" bottom margin.

I have thought of 2 workarounds: (1) Specify paper height as 11 1/2", or (2)
make the last row less tall (which may not be acceptable in all cases).
Either workaround is inelegant and, well, a workaround not a solution. What
am I missing?

GerryM

Ok, this makes sense (live and learn). Now the next problem is for me to
figure out how to (a) show the default paragraph, since no formatting is
displayed for the rtf-created page, and (b) hide the paragraph with rtf.

Thanks.

Gerry Metze

"GerryM" wrote in message
I've created an rtf file with top margin = 1/2", 10 rows 1" high, bottom
margin 1/2". That adds up to 720 + 10*1440 + 720 = 15840 twips = 11".

Word
insists on adding a blank page at the end. How come?

Making the bottom margin smaller eliminates the extra page but triggers an
error message because the printer needs a 1/2" bottom margin.

I have thought of 2 workarounds: (1) Specify paper height as 11 1/2", or

(2)
make the last row less tall (which may not be acceptable in all cases).
Either workaround is inelegant and, well, a workaround not a solution.

What
am I missing?

GerryM

Live and learn, part II: I *can* see the formatting; I used Reveal
Formatting in the Format menu which did no good, but clicking on the
paragraph mark did. Now back to paragraph hiding.

Thanks.
Gerry Metze