Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Headers and Footers

I am filling in a table on word, this is a written document not numerical,
page one and two do not need headers, I have somehow managed to leaves
these out.
Page 3, 4 and 5 have the same header, this is fine, now I am stuck as to
what to do.
Pages 6 & 7 will have the same header (but different to 3 - 5),
then pages 8 & 9 will again need a completely different header, and so on.

Can anyone help me by explaining simple steps of what to do so that I can
achieve this.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

How are the headers different from each other? If they should reflect
some text on the page, you could use StyleRef fields (assuming that
the text to reference has a specific character or paragraph style
applied). For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

If you need to perform other changes to headers (footers), you must
create sections and unlink headers, so that they can have different
contents. To insert a section break: On the Insert menu, click Break.
Click "Next page", and then click OK.

When you have the desired number of sections, click ViewHeader and
Footer. On the Header/Footer toolbar there is a button (depending on
your version of Word, the button may say "Link to previous" or "Same
as previous"). Click that button to turn off the linkage (which is
turned on by default for newly created sections).

Note that a section can have up to three types of headers (and
footers), namely, if you've enabled the "Different first page" and
"Different odd and even" options on the Layout tab of FilePage Setup.
If it does, you have to unlink each type of header (footer).

For more, see:

Making the most of headers and footers
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

Working with sections
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"M" wrote in message
I am filling in a table on word, this is a written document not

numerical,
page one and two do not need headers, I have somehow managed to

leaves
these out.
Page 3, 4 and 5 have the same header, this is fine, now I am stuck

as to
what to do.
Pages 6 & 7 will have the same header (but different to 3 - 5),
then pages 8 & 9 will again need a completely different header, and

so on.

Can anyone help me by explaining simple steps of what to do so that

I can
achieve this.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Good point. I didn't notice that the question was about a document
consisting of a big table.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Note, however, that section breaks will break your table, so if you

can
manage this with StyleRef fields, you'll be better off.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"M" wrote in message
I am filling in a table on word, this is a written document not

numerical,
page one and two do not need headers, I have somehow managed to

leaves
these out.
Page 3, 4 and 5 have the same header, this is fine, now I am

stuck
as to
what to do.
Pages 6 & 7 will have the same header (but different to 3 - 5),
then pages 8 & 9 will again need a completely different header,

and
so on.

Can anyone help me by explaining simple steps of what to do so

that
I can
achieve this.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon

Note also, that you can have header rows in addition to page headers.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"M" wrote in message
I am filling in a table on word, this is a written document not numerical,
page one and two do not need headers, I have somehow managed to leaves
these out.
Page 3, 4 and 5 have the same header, this is fine, now I am stuck as to
what to do.
Pages 6 & 7 will have the same header (but different to 3 - 5),
then pages 8 & 9 will again need a completely different header, and so on.

Can anyone help me by explaining simple steps of what to do so that I can
achieve this.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Thanks everyone, I have now sorted this out, its a planning document for a
school, so hence why every few pages there is a new header . Now can anyone
help me by telling me how I can get all the pages except page one numbered,
bearing in mind some of them now have section breaks every now and then.
Will I have to do it manually or is there another way.

"M" wrote in message
I am filling in a table on word, this is a written document not
numerical,
page one and two do not need headers, I have somehow managed to
leaves
these out.
Page 3, 4 and 5 have the same header, this is fine, now I am

stuck
as to
what to do.
Pages 6 & 7 will have the same header (but different to 3 - 5),
then pages 8 & 9 will again need a completely different header,

and
so on.

Can anyone help me by explaining simple steps of what to do so

that
I can
achieve this.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Provided all the footers are still linked (as they are by default), just set
"Different first page" in the first section. This will give you a separate
First Page Footer in that section, which you will leave blank. Then use
Insert Page Number (on the Header and Footer toolbar) to insert a page
number in the Footer.