Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cheryl Preble

Default Caption continuation

I have used the caption option on my tables. One table splits across two
pages. How can I get the caption to be continued on the second page of the
table (e.g., Table 1-1. Example of Terms (Cont'd) without breaking the table
into two parts. Was hoping Word had an automated way of doing this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can have one or more rows repeated on each page. If the caption is in
the top row of the table, it can be one of these rows. The "(Cont'd)" part
is the sticking point. The only way I know of to do this is to include it in
the caption itself, then cover it up on the first page with a text box or
AutoShape (white fill, no line) anchored to a paragraph in the first
nonheading row.

"Cheryl Preble" wrote in message
news
I have used the caption option on my tables. One table splits across two
pages. How can I get the caption to be continued on the second page of
the
table (e.g., Table 1-1. Example of Terms (Cont'd) without breaking the

table
into two parts. Was hoping Word had an automated way of doing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cheryl Preble

My captions are not part of the table. I have a header row, but can't see
how putting the caption in it would help. The whole text box option sounds
just as time consuming as breaking the table into two parts.
Thanks Suzanne - I'm used to using true desktop publishing software ... wish
Word was a little more similar to FrameMaker or PageMaker!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can have one or more rows repeated on each page. If the caption is in
the top row of the table, it can be one of these rows. The "(Cont'd)" part
is the sticking point. The only way I know of to do this is to include it in
the caption itself, then cover it up on the first page with a text box or
AutoShape (white fill, no line) anchored to a paragraph in the first
nonheading row.

"Cheryl Preble" wrote in message
news
I have used the caption option on my tables. One table splits across two
pages. How can I get the caption to be continued on the second page of

the
table (e.g., Table 1-1. Example of Terms (Cont'd) without breaking the

table
into two parts. Was hoping Word had an automated way of doing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

My point is that you can add a row to the top of the table and put your
caption in it. Breaking the table into two parts is fine as long as the
break won't shift with repagination and you don't need to edit or sort the
table as a whole.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can have one or more rows repeated on each page. If the caption is

in
the top row of the table, it can be one of these rows. The "(Cont'd)"

part
is the sticking point. The only way I know of to do this is to include

it in
the caption itself, then cover it up on the first page with a text box

or
AutoShape (white fill, no line) anchored to a paragraph in the first
nonheading row.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cheryl Preble" wrote in