Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
apnord

Default How do I stop footnotes from breaking across pages?

I have a 65 page thesis that I will soon send to my advisors in Word 2002. I
am unhappy with the way Word arranges footnotes. It will split even small
footnotes accross several pages; I had a 3 line footnote with one line on
each of 3 consecutive pages.

Can I control how Word arranges footnotes at the bottom of a page?
Can I force it to keep certain footnotes together instead of splitting them
across several pages?

Thanks for your help.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I stop footnotes from breaking across pages?

Yes, you can control how Word arranges footnotes at the bottom of a page and force it to keep certain footnotes together instead of splitting them across several pages. Here's how:
  1. Click on the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Footnotes" section to open the "Footnote and Endnote" dialog box.
  3. In the "Footnotes" section of the dialog box, click on the "Options" button.
  4. In the "Footnote and Endnote" options dialog box, select the "Layout" tab.
  5. In the "Pagination" section, check the box next to "Keep lines together" and "Keep with next".
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This will ensure that footnotes are kept together on the same page and not split across multiple pages. If you have a particularly long footnote that still needs to be split across pages, you can adjust the "Footnote height" setting in the same dialog box to allow for more space on the page.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daiya Mitchell

To the extent that you can control this, the methods are detailed he

Footnote on Wrong Page
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...OnDiffPage.htm

Some improvement should be possible, certainly, especially from your
description.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/