Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
faisan10

Default When I try to add a bookmark, add is greyed out.

In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the document, and
I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but change the location. I
tried removing the old bookmark and adding a new one, but "add" is greyed
out. Suggestions? Thanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: When I try to add a bookmark, add is greyed out.

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble adding a new bookmark in Word because the "Add" button is greyed out. This can happen for a few different reasons, but I'll walk you through some troubleshooting steps to help you get it working again.

First, make sure that you have selected the text or location in your document where you want to add the bookmark. If nothing is selected, the "Add" button will be greyed out. Once you have selected the text or location, try clicking the "Add" button again.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that there is a problem with your document or with Word itself. Here are a few more troubleshooting steps you can try:
  1. Check for document corruption: Sometimes, a corrupt document can cause issues with Word's features. To check for document corruption, try opening a new, blank document and adding a bookmark there. If the "Add" button works in the new document, then the issue is likely with your original document.
  2. Check for compatibility issues: If you're using an older version of Word, or if your document was created in a different program and then imported into Word, there may be compatibility issues that are preventing you from adding bookmarks. Try saving your document in a different format (such as .docx instead of .doc) and see if that helps.
  3. Repair your Office installation: If none of the above steps work, it's possible that there is a problem with your Office installation. Try repairing your Office installation by going to Control Panel Programs and Features Microsoft Office Change Repair. This will scan your Office installation for any issues and fix them if possible.

I hope these steps help you get your bookmarks working again!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

faisan10 wrote:
In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the
document, and I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but
change the location. I tried removing the old bookmark and adding a
new one, but "add" is greyed out. Suggestions? Thanks!

The Add button stays greyed out until you enter a valid bookmark name. The
name must begin with a letter, and it can't contain any spaces or
punctuation other than an underscore. So double-check what you're typing to
make sure it's exactly the same as the old name.

By the way, you don't have to delete the old bookmark first. If you select
some different text and open the dialog, select some existing name from the
list, and click Add, it will immediately relocate the bookmark to the new
text. That will prevent typing errors.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
faisan10

Thanks, Jay, but I believe my bookmark name is valid (i.e., I.0.1) It's too
late to not delete some of the old bookmarks. It's a 125-page document that
has been edited and pasted and is pretty much a mess as far as the bookmarks
go. They have been pasted over. The hyperlinks point to the wrong places. I
get messages "The bookmark name is not valid." I try to make new bookmarks,
and if the bookmark isn't already there, it doesn't give me an option to save
the new name. The "add" button is greyed out.

Thanks for your help.

Joan

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

faisan10 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I.0.1 is not a valid bookmark name. It rather sounds like your document is
in a mess! Is it possible that you have, in the past, used some AddIn that
provides extra bookmark functionality? Some sort of front end that allows
bookmark names that Word doesn't and then translates them behind the scenes,
perhaps?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

faisan10 wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
faisan10

OK, I got the answer from a techie friend. You're right: I.0.1 is no longer
a valid name, although it was when the document was created. I have gone
through and corrected them to "I01", etc.

Thanks.

Joan