Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SamA

Default Hangs

I have a Word file that hangs on opening. That is I see the front page of the
document but then Word taks about 99% of the CPU, the task bar indicates that
the program is not responding.

Is there some tool that I can use to analyze the file to fix it?

thanks.
Sam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Open the document using the 'Recover Text from any file' option, under Files
of Type on the File Open dialog. You will lose all formatting, but
(inshallah!) you'll recover the text content. Beyond that, there's usually
not much you can do to recover a corrupt document. Just as well you have a
backup Trying to diagnose file corruptions tends to be more work than
simply re-creating the document.

If you have the full version of Acrobat you can try using that to print the
document, then convert the PDF back to Word. (I've seen it work once...)

You can try opening the document from VB or from VBA in an application other
than Word, keeping Word and the document hidden (in case it's a display
issue that's causing the problem) -- if successful, do a SaveAs via code.

"SamA" wrote in message
I have a Word file that hangs on opening. That is I see the front page of
the
document but then Word taks about 99% of the CPU, the task bar indicates
that
the program is not responding.

Is there some tool that I can use to analyze the file to fix it?

thanks.
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen

In your version of Word, there may be an Open and Repair option available.
Select the file, then click on the arrow on the Open button, select Open and
Repair.