Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob

Default can you change a child documents by changing the parent document

I have a template document which I have used to create a number of child
documents. I would like to update just the parent and cascade the changes to
the children. Is there any way of doing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Template
document

A template in Word is a very special kind of document. It is one saved by
Word as a template. http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm It is
used to create new documents and passes text and attributes on to new
documents as they are created.

It sounds like you want a group of cascading templates, rather than
documents. If your "documents" are being used to produce new letters or
reports, they would be better saved as templates.

It is possible to have a group of templates that share a common source of
information so that you only have to change the source. This requires
consistent use of styles and intermediate programming ability.

It is also possible to create one template that has all of your variations
of text. You simply open the template and tell it what you want to write and
it picks your format and text for you. For instance, various form letters
are stored as AutoText in the template. A UserForm opens each time you
create a new document based on your template and lets you make your choices.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm
This requires somewhat more advanced programming abilities. I've not yet
tackled it because what I am doing works for me.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a template document which I have used to create a number of child
documents. I would like to update just the parent and cascade the changes
the children. Is there any way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used IncludeText fields to insert bookmarked portions of the
parent document into the child documents, then when the bookmarked text is
changed in the parent (you may have to reinsert the bookmark), the child
documents can be updated with F9 (they won't update automatically).