Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg

Default Mail Merge (Word 2002 SP3)-

We have a software that generates a merge document based on an SQL
statement that pulls information out of a database and puts it into a
text file. The merge document looks at the text file data source that
the software puts out and then merges the appropriate data into the
appropriate spot. Simple stuff and works fine.

Now we add in some Word Fields as well. So we have data going into the

document 2 ways now.

Something of importance here is that we have Outlook set to use Word as

the default email editor.

On Word 2002 SP3 if I try and generate the document after the Word
Fields are in, I get a "Run time 509. The MailMergeToDoc command is
not available because the document is not a mail merge main document."

But on different versions of word - the document generates fine. Even
Word 2002 as long as its not SP3.

On the Word 2002 SP3 computer I then go and turn off Word as Outlooks
default email editor, and I can then re-run the merge document and
everything is fine.

My question is should a Merge document be able to have data coming from

a text file data source and some Word fields and work fine while
Outlook is running with word as the default editor?

Hope that makes sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Just guessing here, but does applying the following Knowledgebase article
make any difference?
(My guess is that you have already done that)

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document"

at

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

Peter Jamieson

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg

Thanks for the reply.

I did try that and it didnt seem to fix the issue. Mind you, it did
get rid of the annoying "Yes/No" prompt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I suspect you need to talk more directly to MS on this one (these groups are
mostly monitored by volunteers), but for a workaround, I suppose I would try
to re-connect the Word document to the data source using code. If you need
help on that, please post the code you use to open the document and perform
the merge and we may be able to make some suggestions.

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...