Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lindsay135 lindsay135 is offline

Default How do I type on a scanned document saved in RTF

I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into word then
saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened it, and the only thing
I can get it to do is move the whole page around. I know I am missing a step
somewhere, how can I type on it now? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Just because you saved it with an .rtf extension doesn't make it text. Did
you use OCR software?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"lindsay135" wrote in message
I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into word then
saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened it, and the only
thing
I can get it to do is move the whole page around. I know I am missing a
step
somewhere, how can I type on it now? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

You don't. What are you trying to? Are you trying to create an on line form?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"lindsay135" wrote in message
:I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into word then
: saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened it, and the only
thing
: I can get it to do is move the whole page around. I know I am missing a
step
: somewhere, how can I type on it now? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lindsay135 lindsay135 is offline

I have not used any software, all I did was scan it from my photosmart and
saved it from the printer to word, then I wanted to beable to type on it like
fill it out and then print it with the spaces filled in. It is a form for
work. I got in contact with HP person in chat, and thy told me to save it as
RTF so what did I do wrong? Can you walk me through what to do?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

Just because you saved it with an .rtf extension doesn't make it text. Did
you use OCR software?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"lindsay135" wrote in message
I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into word then
saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened it, and the only
thing
I can get it to do is move the whole page around. I know I am missing a
step
somewhere, how can I type on it now? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

A scanned document is just a picture. You must use OCR software to convert
it to editable text. Your scanner probably came with some kind of OCR
software; read the manual.

"TF" wrote:

You don't. What are you trying to? Are you trying to create an on line

form?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"lindsay135" wrote in message
:I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into word

then
: saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened it, and the

only
thing
: I can get it to do is move the whole page around. I know I am missing

step
: somewhere, how can I type on it now? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lindsay135 lindsay135 is offline

What is OCR software? I read the manual and there is no mention of it? Is it
something I need to buy separately? Thanks

"TF" wrote:

You don't. What are you trying to? Are you trying to create an on line

form?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"lindsay135" wrote in message
:I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into word

then
: saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened it, and the

only
thing
: I can get it to do is move the whole page around. I know I am missing

step
: somewhere, how can I type on it now? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OCR software is optical character reading software which converts scanned
text images (which is what you have) to editable text. Most scanner packages
include at least rudimentary OCR software tools. If not you'll have to buy
some to do this (Finereader is probably the best).

However, scanning a form to enter text into it is going to be a beast of a
job with OCR software - unless you have the version of Finereader that comes
with the form filling tool, which makes the job child's play. Your best bet
would be to set the layout of your inserted graphic to 'behind text' then
build a form over it using tables.

For a one-off it is more sensible to use a pen!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A scanned document is just a picture. You must use OCR software to
convert it to editable text. Your scanner probably came with some
kind of OCR software; read the manual.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"TF" wrote:

You don't. What are you trying to? Are you trying to create an on
line form?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"lindsay135" wrote in
message ...
I am having trouble typing on a document that was scanned into
word then saved into RTF format. I saved it, closed it, reopened
it, and the only thing I can get it to do is move the whole page
around. I know I am missing a step somewhere, how can I type on
it now? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I take it that the gasp was a response to the suggestion to user a pen.
People seem to forget that computers are supposed to help save work, not
make more of it!

It is also worth noting that many forms are intended to be filled with a
pen, so the recipient can perform hand writing analysis. This is especially
true of job applications. A computer filled response to a request for a
handwritten form will ensure the form goes straight into the shredder.

wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
OCR software is optical character reading software which converts
scanned text images (which is what you have) to editable text. Most
scanner packages include at least rudimentary OCR software tools. If
not you'll have to buy some to do this (Finereader is probably the
best). However, scanning a form to enter text into it is going to be a
beast of a job with OCR software - unless you have the version of
Finereader that comes with the form filling tool, which makes the
job child's play. Your best bet would be to set the layout of your
inserted graphic to 'behind text' then build a form over it using
tables. For a one-off it is more sensible to use a pen!

(Gasp!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

Don't know if it will help the original poster but I scan forms, save and
open a blank Word document. I then insert the form in the header, resizing
to the Word page as necessary. When I close the header, I can type in the
appropriate places. Having completed the form, I delete the background form
and print my document onto the original.

I would only recommend this method if you often have to fill in this type of
form. Otherwise, use a pen as recommended!