Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

Default Missing dlls

For a little while I have been editing docs I have been receiving messages
saying I have 2 specific MSSpell dlls missing. After some searching I have
discovered this has apparently something to do with proofing tools in the
wrong language. I have not changed anything on my system to cause this to
happen. Does anyone know the reason for this, I would like to know in case
this problem re-occurs.

Luckily I have found the solution and have fixed it so far.

It couldn't be an update or an outside doc which somehow it setting this
change on my system could it?

TIA

B.W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I got around this by selecting all in a document (CTRL-A) then choosing my
local language under the language option, and positively selecting it (ie
highlighting, and not just relying on the underline.

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
For a little while I have been editing docs I have been receiving messages
saying I have 2 specific MSSpell dlls missing. After some searching I
have discovered this has apparently something to do with proofing tools in
the wrong language. I have not changed anything on my system to cause
this to happen. Does anyone know the reason for this, I would like to
know in case this problem re-occurs.

Luckily I have found the solution and have fixed it so far.

It couldn't be an update or an outside doc which somehow it setting this
change on my system could it?

TIA

B.W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

Thanks for that, yes that's how I cured it. I just wondered why it happened
in the first place though?

B.W.

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
For a little while I have been editing docs I have been receiving
messages saying I have 2 specific MSSpell dlls missing. After some
searching I have discovered this has apparently something to do with
proofing tools in the wrong language. I have not changed anything on my
system to cause this to happen. Does anyone know the reason for this, I
would like to know in case this problem re-occurs.

Luckily I have found the solution and have fixed it so far.

It couldn't be an update or an outside doc which somehow it setting this
change on my system could it?

TIA

B.W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

O.K. after curing this for a couple of days, it's back again, what is
causing it?

Any advice please.

B.W.

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
For a little while I have been editing docs I have been receiving
messages saying I have 2 specific MSSpell dlls missing. After some
searching I have discovered this has apparently something to do with
proofing tools in the wrong language. I have not changed anything on my
system to cause this to happen. Does anyone know the reason for this, I
would like to know in case this problem re-occurs.

Luckily I have found the solution and have fixed it so far.

It couldn't be an update or an outside doc which somehow it setting this
change on my system could it?

TIA

B.W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check the language set in Windows regional settings.
Check the language proofing parameter in the normal paragraph style.
From tools language set language - uncheck 'automatically detect'

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

Thanks Graham, yes regional settings Australia and English Australian. Also
the proofing parameter in Language etc are as you set out. (This is what I
did originally, but I did go back and re-check.) Bit confused as when I
click on Australian English it is selected (Blue) but a tick appears below
against English US? So I have left the check against English Australia.

B.W.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Check the language set in Windows regional settings.
Check the language proofing parameter in the normal paragraph style.
From tools language set language - uncheck 'automatically detect'

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

Recently sometimes when I open a word doc directly from OE6 just read it and
don't scroll or do anything to it, not always but sometimes I'm asked do I
want to Save, why is this happening with just some? Also when opening some
of these files directly from OE when I go to close them they say normal or
global dot has been changed do I want to save the change and I say no. Does
this mean that the file I have looked at is trying to change my normal.dot?

Is anyone else having these problems, these have only cropped up in the last
week?

TIA

B.W.

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
Thanks Graham, yes regional settings Australia and English Australian.
Also the proofing parameter in Language etc are as you set out. (This is
what I did originally, but I did go back and re-check.) Bit confused as
when I click on Australian English it is selected (Blue) but a tick
appears below against English US? So I have left the check against
English Australia.

B.W.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Check the language set in Windows regional settings.
Check the language proofing parameter in the normal paragraph style.
From tools language set language - uncheck 'automatically detect'

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Never open documents directly from e-mails. Save them to the hard drive
first!
Answer 'no' to the normal.dot prompt if you don't know what the changes are.

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
Thanks Graham, yes regional settings Australia and English
Australian. Also the proofing parameter in Language etc are as you
set out. (This is what I did originally, but I did go back and
re-check.) Bit confused as when I click on Australian English it is
selected (Blue) but a tick appears below against English US? So I
have left the check against English Australia.

B.W.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Check the language set in Windows regional settings.
Check the language proofing parameter in the normal paragraph style.
From tools language set language - uncheck 'automatically
detect' --

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

Never open documents directly from e-mails. Save them to the hard drive
first!

Really, why is that? Assuming you have antivirus spyware installed and
updated correctly!

Thanks for all your help

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
Thanks Graham, yes regional settings Australia and English
Australian. Also the proofing parameter in Language etc are as you
set out. (This is what I did originally, but I did go back and
re-check.) Bit confused as when I click on Australian English it is
selected (Blue) but a tick appears below against English US? So I
have left the check against English Australia.

B.W.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Check the language set in Windows regional settings.
Check the language proofing parameter in the normal paragraph style.
From tools language set language - uncheck 'automatically
detect' --

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is just bad practice that one day will bite you. Not all the potentially
malicious code that can be attached to a document is a virus, and in any
case the virus software manufacturers are always playing catch-up. But the
most compelling reason is that if you save changes to a document you will
lose those changes.

"B.W." (del xxx) wrote in message
Thanks Graham, yes regional settings Australia and English
Australian. Also the proofing parameter in Language etc are as you
set out. (This is what I did originally, but I did go back and
re-check.) Bit confused as when I click on Australian English it
is selected (Blue) but a tick appears below against English US? So I
have left the check against English Australia.

B.W.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Check the language set in Windows regional settings.
Check the language proofing parameter in the normal paragraph
style. From tools language set language - uncheck
'automatically detect' --

wrote in message
For a little while I have been editing docs I have been
receiving messages saying I have 2 specific MSSpell dlls
missing. After some searching I have discovered this has
apparently something to do with proofing tools in the wrong
language. I have not changed anything on my system to cause
this to happen. Does anyone know the reason for this, I would
like to know in case this problem re-occurs. Luckily I have
found the solution and have fixed it so far.

It couldn't be an update or an outside doc which somehow it
setting this change on my system could it?

TIA

B.W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
B.W. B.W. is offline

Thanks Graham, point taken. But, if there's something malicious in the
document that's not necessarily of the virual variety by putting it on your
hard drive doesn't that pose an even more dangerous problem? How then
would you know there was something wrong with it, maybe not until your anti
virus programme did it's scheduled scan, by which time you would have
probably opened the document anyway.