Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Justiniano Michael Justiniano is offline

Default Split document vertically

Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split the same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left side and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently possible.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split the same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left side and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently possible.

No, this is not supported in any of the built-in options. I have trouble
imagining what you'd use if for...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word 2003 offers this capability in the Window | Compare Side by Side
feature. It is not intuitively obvious that the two documents being compared
can be copies of the same document, but they can. I would hope that Word
2007 has a similar feature.

"Michael Justiniano" Michael wrote in
message news
Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split the same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left side and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently possible.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Justiniano Michael Justiniano is offline

Hello Cindy. I'd use the function just the same as with the horizontal split
function; to view to different parts of the same document , e.g. when one
part is reffering to the other, and I can look at both parts at the same
time. It's only that I don't like the layout when splitting horizontally, and
therefore I'd like to split it vertically. With my widescreen display it
would show much more of both parts.

Michael

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split the same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left side and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently possible.

No, this is not supported in any of the built-in options. I have trouble
imagining what you'd use if for...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As mentioned, Word 2003 offers Window | Compare Side by Side. Does Word 2007
not have this?

"Michael Justiniano" wrote in
message ...

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split the

same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left side

and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently

possible.

No, this is not supported in any of the built-in options. I have trouble
imagining what you'd use if for...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Justiniano Michael Justiniano is offline

Hi Suzanne.

No, it doesn't seem so. I tried to pick the same document, but they OK
button was greyed out. It had to be a document with another name, and then
loosing the feature I wanted. It should be as simple as to rightclick the
split line and choose either horisontally or vertically, or even to, three or
four splits.

Michael

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split the

same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left side

and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently

possible.

No, this is not supported in any of the built-in options. I have trouble
imagining what you'd use if for...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, I tried this in Word 2003, and the two documents have to be open
already before you can compare. So you have to choose Open as Copy in the
Open dialog so you have the original document and a copy open. You won't be
able to edit the copy (well, I guess you could, but you wouldn't be making
changes to the original), but if you just want a reference copy while you're
editing a different part of the original, this would work in Word 2003--no
idea what's available in 2007.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As mentioned, Word 2003 offers Window | Compare Side by Side. Does Word

2007
not have this?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Michael Justiniano" wrote

in
message ...

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

Office 2007 Beta 2: I use the split funtion a lot, splitting the

same
document into two horisontally. I would like the ability to split

the
same
document vertically, showing one part of the document on the left

side
and
another part on the right. Please inform me if this is currently

possible.

No, this is not supported in any of the built-in options. I have

trouble
imagining what you'd use if for...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17

2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Justiniano Michael Justiniano is offline

Hi again, Suzanne, thanks for your reply. Exactly, then I wouldn't be able to
make changes both places, loosing the feature I wanted and which the
horisontal split function has. So Microsoft, please implement this

Michael

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

I tried to pick the same document, but they OK
button was greyed out. It had to be a document with another name, and then
loosing the feature I wanted

Try this (Word 2003, but it works in 2007 as well):

Open the document.

Window/New Window

Window/Compare side-by-side

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael Justiniano Michael Justiniano is offline

Great Cindy, thanks for your help This is definitely a much better layout
than with the split function. It does stack double up with buttons, but this
still made my work easier.

Michael

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

I tried to pick the same document, but they OK
button was greyed out. It had to be a document with another name, and then
loosing the feature I wanted

Try this (Word 2003, but it works in 2007 as well):

Open the document.

Window/New Window

Window/Compare side-by-side

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBKdXN0aW5pYW5v?=,

It does stack double up with buttons

(2007) Double-click the tab name (Home) of the tab you're
currently working with, and you can hide that set of
buttons. Personally, I'd rather the windows be symmetrical,
but...

In 2003, if you deactivate "WIndows in Taskbar" in
Tools/Options/View you'll get all your Word windows in one
Word application window. Now you can "Arrange all". After
this, you can drag the windows side-by-side: one set of
tools over two windows.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks, Cindy. I *knew* there was a way to do this.

Until you'd written what you'd looked at, I'd forgotten
about this route, so it's the blind leading the blind...
:-)