Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] saul_margolis@hotmail.com is offline

Default Page Break gets Heading 1 style

When I insert a page break on a line that is formatted with Heading 1
style, the page break itself becomes Heading 1 style. How do i stop
this from happening. It seems like I need to enter another line
between the page break and the heading, and then format that as normal.
Problem is that there is then a blank space at the top of the page.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Saul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Saul

You can stop this happening by not using page breaks.

Instead, click in the paragraph that you want to be at the top of a new
page, and do Format Paragraph. On the Line and Page Breaks tab, tick the
"Page break before" box.

If you want every Heading 1 styled paragraph to start on a new page, then,
instead of changing eacj individual paragraph through Format Paragraph,
modify the style itself so that the style is set with "page break before".

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh yes, what I forgot to mention is that the Heading 1 style has a
green background. So the page break shows up as a green strip on the
page prior to the heading!

wrote:
When I insert a page break on a line that is formatted with Heading 1
style, the page break itself becomes Heading 1 style. How do i stop
this from happening. It seems like I need to enter another line
between the page break and the heading, and then format that as normal.
Problem is that there is then a blank space at the top of the page.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Saul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] saul_margolis@hotmail.com is offline

Thanks Shauna, that did the trick!

When would one use page breaks and when would one use this tip you've
given?

wrote:
When I insert a page break on a line that is formatted with Heading 1
style, the page break itself becomes Heading 1 style. How do i stop
this from happening. It seems like I need to enter another line
between the page break and the heading, and then format that as normal.
Problem is that there is then a blank space at the top of the page.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Saul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It's generally best to avoid manual page breaks entirely except in cases
where you *always* want the following text to start a new page (the
beginning of a new chapter or section, for example) even if the text
(because of editing) reflows such that the text following the break would
fit on the previous page. They shouldn't be used as a substitute for "Keep
with next" to avoid awkward page breaks because sometimes moving a document
full of manual page breaks to a different computer (with a different printer
driver) will result in having full pages alternating with pages containing
one line of text (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm).
And in situations where you *always* want a page break, it is more efficient
(and obviously safer) to incorporate "Page break before" in the relevant
style.

ups.com...