Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terri Terri is offline

Default Need help with Undo Automatic Numbering

Need to know how to disable this function. I work with Word daily and number
by hand my items such as:
1. John Smith
1234 Main St
Anywhere USA 10000
2. and so on but when I get to the 2nd and 3rd lines, the undo automatic
number shows up and I have to right click and cancel, but it keeps coming
back!
I am indenting the lines and do not use the tab to do this, I do it by hand
so that might be causing the problem. Can't seem to figure out how to use
the tabs either.
Thanks in advance..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options. Click the AutoFormat as
you type tab. Clear the "Automatic bulleted lists" and "Automatic
numbered lists" options, and click OK. In fact, you may want to clear
most of the options in the dialog box; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Terri" wrote in message ...
Need to know how to disable this function. I work with Word daily

and number
by hand my items such as:
1. John Smith
1234 Main St
Anywhere USA 10000
2. and so on but when I get to the 2nd and 3rd lines, the undo

automatic
number shows up and I have to right click and cancel, but it keeps

coming
back!
I am indenting the lines and do not use the tab to do this, I do it

by hand
so that might be causing the problem. Can't seem to figure out how

to use
the tabs either.
Thanks in advance..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want manual numbering then Tools autocorrect options autoformat
as you type - uncheck automatic numbered lists (and probably most of the
rest of the stuff on that page too).