Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Linguist17 Linguist17 is offline

Default Word is showing the paper as an inch too wide

When I update the table of contents in my dissertation, word changes the
apparent paper size, displaying the page as though it were 9.5 x 11 in.
rather than 8.5 x 11. There are also some landscape pages in the document;
they display as if they were 12 x 8.5. When I try to change the size, the
program behaves as if the size is already correct.

It wouldn't really be a problem, but it also screws up any .pdf I try to make.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the document contain comments or tracked changes? If so, Word is
allowing margin space for the "balloons."

No, no comments or tracked changes. It's not that the text is shrunk and
restricted to the upper left part of the page, as it is when you're tracking
changes.

In print layout view, the program is actually showing the page as extending
1 to 1.5 inches *to the right of the blue bar representing the right margin*.
The pages are actually showing up in the wrong shape, as if the paper were
9.5 x 11 or 10 x 11 inches.

As I said, it wouldn't matter too much if I were just printing the document,
but I need to make it into a .pdf, and the .pdf is showing the same weird,
squarish pages.

When I first load the document, the page dimensions are correct (this is a
rather large document with several subdocuments--my dissertation, in fact).
It's when I update the fields in my table of contents that the program bumps
the right edge of all the pages out another 1.5 in. or so.

Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm not sure what the "blue bar representing the right margin" is. I would
be tempted to think this was a white space issue (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm) but this wouldn't cause a
change in the display in Print Preview or a resulting PDF.

The fact that this happens when you update the TOC (a change) does very much
suggest to me the Track Changes issue, though. If you display the Reviewing
toolbar and select the Final view, does it differ from Final Showing Markup?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The fact that this happens when you update the TOC (a change) does very much
suggest to me the Track Changes issue, though. If you display the Reviewing
toolbar and select the Final view, does it differ from Final Showing Markup?

Well, maybe that was it. I noticed that the "Markup" button was checked in
the "View" menu, turned it off, and did manage to get the paper to display
correctly. I never did see any markup or notes in the margin, though.

Thanks for all your help,
Nick Pharris