Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
G.G. Biggar, Jr. G.G. Biggar, Jr. is offline

Default Inserting page numbers

This has typically been a simple task -- until recently. (I am using Office
2000.)

On an existing document, I recently wanted to change the location of
existing page numbers from the upper right-hand corner to the center at the
bottom of the page. This required that I activate the header on the second
page (there was no page number placed on the first page) in order to delete
the box where the page number appeared. However, when using Insert\Page
Numbers, my changes to relocate the page numbers are not reflected in the
document. Perhaps, it has something to do with the method by which I
deleted the original page numbers.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards,

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

After you deleted the page number box, did you close the Header and go to
Insert | Page Numbers and choose the new location, then click OK? This would
give the result you want, though I personally would not touch this dialog
with a barge pole. I would instead click on the Switch Between Header and
Footer button on the Header and Footer toolbar, to get to the footer pane.
Then I would click the Insert Page Number button on the H&F toolbar and
press Ctrl+E to center the number (or Tab once to place the number at the
center tab stop).

"G.G. Biggar, Jr." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
G.G. Biggar, Jr. G.G. Biggar, Jr. is offline

Hello, Fair Hope!

As always, you come to my rescue. At this end, it's a little knowledge
being a dangerous thing. I found that by bringing up the footer first (as
you intimated) where I wanted to place my first page number, and then using
Insert/Page Numbers, I had no problem. Originally, after having deleted the
page number from the header itself, I returned to the document and went
through the drill of inserting page numbers. That process did not work.
But, by going to the footer first, and then using Insert/Page Numbers, the
process worked as advertised.

Thank you, m'am!

Regards,

Gordon Biggar

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
After you deleted the page number box, did you close the Header and go to
Insert | Page Numbers and choose the new location, then click OK? This

would
give the result you want, though I personally would not touch this dialog
with a barge pole. I would instead click on the Switch Between Header and
Footer button on the Header and Footer toolbar, to get to the footer pane.
Then I would click the Insert Page Number button on the H&F toolbar and
press Ctrl+E to center the number (or Tab once to place the number at the
center tab stop).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

[...]