Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
insert your name here insert your name here is offline

Default Word 2000 - fix chart data?

Hi everyone

I'm using Word 2000.

I've inserted a simple chart using Insert, Object, Microsoft Graph 2000
Chart.

Once I've entered the data, is there any way of 'freezing' it so the
data can't be changed?

I know I can use SnagIt to turn it into a jpeg, but I'd like to keep
formatting options open.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Insert,

I've inserted a simple chart using Insert, Object, Microsoft Graph

2000
Chart.

Once I've entered the data, is there any way of 'freezing' it so the
data can't be changed?

I know I can use SnagIt to turn it into a jpeg, but I'd like to keep
formatting options open.

Not really, no. Depending on what users are allowed to do in the
document you could insert section breaks around the chart then protect
the document as a form, leaving the other sections unprotected. This
isn't 100% secure, however (like someone could use Insert/File to
access the content in another document).

And Excel chart might be the better option. You should be able to
protect the worksheet that underlies the chart.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Turn on Protection: Tools, Protect Document...

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"insert your name here" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I'm using Word 2000.

I've inserted a simple chart using Insert, Object, Microsoft Graph 2000
Chart.

Once I've entered the data, is there any way of 'freezing' it so the data
can't be changed?

I know I can use SnagIt to turn it into a jpeg, but I'd like to keep
formatting options open.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
insert your name here insert your name here is offline

Thanks for the replies Cindy & Terry.

Personally I agree and I'd use Excel too, but I like the way you can use
Graph from Word for simple charts - especially copying from an existing
table or for users who aren't that confident with Excel.

Still, not a showstopper - your help is greatly appreciated - thanks