Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Default can't type in document

I am suddenly unable to type anything in a word document. I can write on-line
and in help sections
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: can't type in document

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble typing in your Word document. Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check if the document is protected: If the document is protected, you won't be able to type anything in it. To check if the document is protected, go to the Review tab and see if the Protect Document button is highlighted. If it is, click on it and select Unprotect Document.
  2. Check if the cursor is in the right place: Sometimes, the cursor can be in the wrong place, and you won't be able to type anything. Make sure the cursor is in the right place by clicking on the spot where you want to start typing.
  3. Check if the document is in Read-only mode: If the document is in Read-only mode, you won't be able to make any changes to it. To check if the document is in Read-only mode, go to the File tab and see if the Read-only option is checked. If it is, uncheck it.
  4. Check if the document is corrupted: If the document is corrupted, you won't be able to type anything in it. To check if the document is corrupted, try opening it in a different program or on a different computer. If you're still unable to type in the document, it may be corrupted.
  5. Check if there are any add-ins causing the issue: Sometimes, add-ins can cause issues with Word. To check if there are any add-ins causing the issue, go to the File tab, select Options, and then select Add-ins. Disable any add-ins that you don't need.

I hope one of these solutions helps you resolve the issue. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Maybe you have a trial version of Office 2003, and the trial
period has ended. Or maybe you have not activated your Office
software.

What happens if you start Word and click on Help | Activate
Product? If you are already activated, a dialog box saying so
will appear. If you are not activated, the Activation Wizard
will start. If you have an expired trial version, a dialog box
will prompt you to enter a valid product key or convert (purchase
a key) online.

Jay wrote:

I am suddenly unable to type anything in a word document. I can write on-line
and in help sections

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Jay wrote:

I am suddenly unable to type anything in a word document. I can write on-line
and in help sections

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red line appears

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word? If there is no text on the screen, then
where does a squiggly red line appear? From your cryptic
description of the problem, I'm guessing you can't create new
Word documents, but can you open and edit existing Word documents?

Jay wrote:

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red line appears

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

What version of Word? If there is no text on the screen, then
where does a squiggly red line appear? From your cryptic
description of the problem, I'm guessing you can't create new
Word documents, but can you open and edit existing Word documents?

Jay wrote:Word 2003

Red squiggle appears when I press 'return'
I can open and edit existing documents
I can open but not write in new documents

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red line appears

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Define "some time". Is that 3 years or 3 months?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Jay wrote:

I am suddenly unable to type anything in a word document. I can write
on-line
and in help sections

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly
stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red
line appears

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

By directing me to Format/Font I was able to solve my problem. Somehow the
font colour had been changed to white. Don't ask me how!
Anyhow, your suggestion certainly helped. Thank you

"Jay" wrote in message

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

What version of Word? If there is no text on the screen, then
where does a squiggly red line appear? From your cryptic
description of the problem, I'm guessing you can't create new
Word documents, but can you open and edit existing Word documents?

Jay wrote:Word 2003

Red squiggle appears when I press 'return'
I can open and edit existing documents
I can open but not write in new documents

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly

stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red line
appears

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I should have thought of "white" as another possibility. The fact that you
were seeing spelling corrections suggested that the text was there, just
invisible.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly your text is formatted as Hidden? Select the area where you

have
typed, go to Format | Font, and make sure there is no check in the

"Hidden"
box.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jay" wrote in message

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

What version of Word? If there is no text on the screen, then
where does a squiggly red line appear? From your cryptic
description of the problem, I'm guessing you can't create new
Word documents, but can you open and edit existing Word documents?

Jay wrote:Word 2003
Red squiggle appears when I press 'return'
I can open and edit existing documents
I can open but not write in new documents

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly

stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red

line
appears

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

hi, there
i have the same problem with you. i have word 2007 this March for the trial
period. but last week i suddenly can't type anything even format bo matter
the new document or the old ones. all my toolbar are "white". nothing
available on my words.
what's the problem? anybody can help me?

Jay wrote:

I am suddenly unable to type anything in a word document. I can write
on-line
and in help sections

I have had the system some time. It was only today that it suddenly
stopped producing the written word on screen. Sometimes a squiggly red
line appears

six months or so.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Did you activate it?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher